lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2020, 08:46 AM   #11
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Charging Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
So basically the higher the pack voltage is before plugging the charger in the higher it will show after a couple of minutes of plugging the charger in?
Yep
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2020, 09:34 AM   #12
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
So basically the higher the pack voltage is before plugging the charger in the higher it will show after a couple of minutes of plugging the charger in?
I think of voltage as water pressure.
The batteries are sitting there with a certain pressure (voltage).
Connect a charger and it is going to try to fill the batteries more, to do that it must have a higher pressure (voltage).
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:08 AM   #13
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If you're gonna charge it you need to charge it immediately AFTER you use the cart, not right before. Leaving a lead acid battery sitting at a low state of charge leads to sulfate buildup on the plates and decreases the capacity and life-span of the battery.

Those batteries need a few more charge cycles before they will come up to full capacity, but you also need to remember to charge them after use rather than right before. It is much better for the batteries in the long run. Once the pack is fully charged you can unplug the charger and the pack should be fine for 3-4 weeks of sitting without needing a top-off charge.

At full charge you should see about 51v with the pack at rest 12 hours after the charger turns off.
With the charger running, depending which part of the charge cycle it is in, you should see somewhere closer to 60V or perhaps slightly more towards the middle/end of the charge.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:22 AM   #14
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

My cart has 8x6v Crown agm 6crv 260ahs...and am using an Eagle Pro
4818 charger.

Charger has Bulk, absorption, float plus equalizing profiles.

With this particular model charger my cart can be left charging until the
next time it is used...The Eagle Pro will float charge once every hour for 5 minutes.

Crown batteries recommends "opportunity charging" meaning whenever cart
comes back from a run...or at the end of a duty cycle...which for me starts
when I first run my cart around the neighborhood through the day but at the end of the day putting the cart to charge that concludes the duty cycle...
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:25 AM   #15
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
If you're gonna charge it you need to charge it immediately AFTER you use the cart, not right before. Leaving a lead acid battery sitting at a low state of charge leads to sulfate buildup on the plates and decreases the capacity and life-span of the battery.

Those batteries need a few more charge cycles before they will come up to full capacity, but you also need to remember to charge them after use rather than right before. It is much better for the batteries in the long run. Once the pack is fully charged you can unplug the charger and the pack should be fine for 3-4 weeks of sitting without needing a top-off charge.

At full charge you should see about 51v with the pack at rest 12 hours after the charger turns off.
With the charger running, depending which part of the charge cycle it is in, you should see somewhere closer to 60V or perhaps slightly more towards the middle/end of the charge.

I always plug the cart in after using it. If I don't use my cart for an extended period of time it always gets plugged in every two weeks and disconnected the next day after the charger shuts off. As an example, let's say it's been a week since last charge and I plan on using the cart the next day. I will plug the cart in the day before the ride and always make sure it's 20 hours before my ride so the charger can run its course. I never wait to recharge my pack. I'm anal about keeping the batteries properly watered and charged. One reason I got 7yrs out of my last (4) 12v batteries.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #16
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Gotcha, sounded like you were waiting to charge it, but that could be that I misread it.
Leaving it unplugged after charging is totally fine.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:33 AM   #17
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Gotcha, sounded like you were waiting to charge it, but that could be that I misread it.
Leaving it unplugged after charging is totally fine.
I set a reminder on my phone to charge the cart every two weeks and reset the timer after a full charge. That way I don't forget to charge it especially during the winter. So the longest my cart ever goes between charges is two weeks regardless.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:20 PM   #18
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm breaking in a new set of Crown CR-190's and Crown recommends a equalization charge every 7 days.
Hunter450 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:29 PM   #19
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter450 View Post
I'm breaking in a new set of Crown CR-190's and Crown recommends a equalization charge every 7 days.
Should I change it to not let my pack go more then 7 days without a charge? Would it hurt anything?
Old 05-27-2020, 08:17 AM   #20
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Not at all, the Battery Council international recommendation is to top the charge every 30 days when in storage or idle.

Charging once every two weeks while in storage is more than adequate and much safer for the batteries then a so called "float" charger.

if You have any kind of home automation setup, You can easily modify your Powerdrive so you can automate the charger or make it easier to start a charge cycle remotely, check out the thread below:
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=114303
I am also not a fan of anything directly connected to the power outlet, but I think a better solution than keeping it unplugged from the wall is to use a surge protector.

If You get one with a Master and Controlled outlets, You can also put a cooling fan on a "Controlled" outlet so it will run anytime the charger is using current from the "Master" outlet.

It comes handy with the Powerdrive 3 charger in the summer as it gets very hot during a charge cycle.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car