lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2020, 12:40 PM   #1
mattoxh
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Power Drive Charger 48v Club Car

I have a 200O Club Car DS with bypassed OBC. I purchased a new Power Drive Charger and it will not cut on. For information I was previously using a Delta Q charger connected directly to the batteries but it stopped working, I borrowed a Delta Q until I purchased the new charger and it worked fine.
I was under the impression that the automatic charger would Take over and determine when to charge when to cut off when batteries were fully charged.
I guess my assumptions are not correct cause the charger will not cut on after riding the cart. I really do not want to purchase a new OBC but I do want the Benefit of an automatic charger for safety reasons. What are my options. Thanks
mattoxh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2020, 01:27 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Power Drive Charger 48v Club Car

You can't use the Power Drive charger if the OBC is bypassed. The PowerDrive charger has to have a properly functioning OBC to charge properly. If the OBC failed it will have to be replaced in order to use that charger.

Another option is to buy a smart charger like the Lester Summit II.
Or possibly a Club Car ERIC (delta-Q charger) if you can get it for a good deal. IMO the Lester is a far better charger and is much easier to program.

Another option that is a little less expensive that should plug in and work for you right out of the box is the ModzMax brand 15A charger.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #3
mattoxh
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you very much for your help. I can probably take the charger back and trade it for a Lester.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:40 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoxh View Post
I can probably take the charger back and trade it for a Lester.
PERFECT choice!
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:20 PM   #5
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
You can't use the Power Drive charger if the OBC is bypassed. The PowerDrive charger has to have a properly functioning OBC to charge properly. ....
It seems to me the OBC is the "smart" part of a modern all-in-one smart charger and the Power Drive charger is the power converter.
The Power Drive charger that came with our 2003 DS is old technology and very heavy so it would not be desirable as an on-board system.
I have a Modz Max charger which works well with my OBC which I will be removing.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:25 AM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&TBabich View Post
It seems to me the OBC is the "smart" part of a modern all-in-one smart charger and the Power Drive charger is the power converter.
Almost, but the OBC is the brains for the Powerdrive charger. It tells it when to cut on, off, charge voltage, energy units, charge algorithm, charge disable, etc. The Powerdrive is just a big transformer that does not know what to do without an OBC.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:07 AM   #7
mattoxh
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I ordered the Modz Max charger it should arrive next week. The only negative I see is ability to repair. On a lighter note I have not had good luck repairing chargers. I have a Delta Q and a Yamaha charger in my junk pile now.
I appreciate the assistance from everyone.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:15 AM   #8
bkluck352
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have had the Modz charger for while and have had no issues. Had to try the cheapest route.
bkluck352 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2000 club car ds, obc by pass, power drive
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car