lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2020, 09:26 AM   #1
Mikefili
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Could this be my imagination

I have a 16 Precident with new (Jan 20) Trojans. Same situation with the prior set of Trojans.
When the water level is just above the plates as opposed to when I add distilled water.
Just above the plates seems to have more volts after charge as opposed to watering to the bottom of the fill hole, also my voltage when I return home is higher with the lower water level by at least 1 volt.
Could the lower water level create a slightly stronger acid solution and could the higher water level cause a somewhat diluted acid mixture?
By lower I mean filling the water to just pass the top of the plates and higher I mean using my plastic spring loaded tip water canister, that auto type gas station canister stops filling at the bottom of the battery cell creating a water level about 5/16 or 3/8 higher than filling to just above the plates,
As I say it is a noticeable difference in voltage and the same unusual results with my prior Trojans. Any sense to this observation?
Mikefili is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2020, 09:59 AM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Could this be my imagination

I have noticed the same phenomenon with one of my carts. The reason I noticed it is because the cart has an always on digital battery meter. Standing voltage is a little lower after adding water during periodic battery maintenance. I'm sure there is a scientific answer and you may be on to something with the acid concentration changing slightly when water is added.
After 20 years of golf cart ownership and with knowledge gained from this board, I have finally got battery maintenance figured out. Boils down to: keep them charged, keep them clean and keep the water level correct (not too high and not too low). In regard to water level: as the batteries are discharged the level decreases and increases again when charging so the time to add water if needed is when they are fully charged. However, plate exposure is BAD so if you find a cell with water below the plates with the batteries in a partially discharged condition you should add just enough to cover the plates-charge and then check again and adjust.
I use a cheap 2 gallon garden sprayer with a solution of baking soda and water to clean the batteries followed by a very gentle rinse from garden hose. Then dry with a leaf blower. I do this about 3 times a year and I don't have any corrosion problems and don't even use corrosion inhibitor on the battery connections. Mild Atlanta weather and garage storage probably helps some.

Here's a good reference if you really want to study batteries: https://batteryuniversity.com/
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It makes sense the "Surface Voltage" reading could be affected by the very slight change in acid concentration of the electrolyte, but it should not have any effect in the actual battery capacity.

I don't understand the idea of not filling the battery to the proper mark on the fill tube unless one enjoys constantly checking the water levels.

As long as your caps seals are not damaged, the water level does not increase gassing or acid mist.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I don't understand the idea of not filling the battery to the proper mark on the fill tube unless one enjoys constantly checking the water levels.
before i found BGW, when i first got my 03 IQ cart with powerdriverII i filled the batteries to the mark on the split fill tube like what i've done for years as an auto/bus mechanic. batteries were 5 yrs old. i always had wet battery tops and acid spill over on the frame and concrete floor. new trojan batteries in 2018 and i've always read on BGW to keep the water level 1/4" over plates. i no longer have wet batteries, frame or floor.

am i doing it wrong?
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The US Batteries that came with my cart spilled acid mist a lot during charge and I had to clean the battery bay often.

I switched to new batteries and kept filling then all the way to the manufacturer mark on the bottom of the fill tube.

I never had any more acid mist and I used then for 7 years until I just recently converted to lithium.

The only thing I remember on the US Batteries is that the seals on the caps were kind of damaged and not smooth, likely due to sloppy handling by the golf club maintenance folks when watering them.

As long as You keep the tops of the batteries clean when removing and replacing the caps to prevent debris or dirt from being trapped and creating an abrasive action on the seals, just follow the water level recommendation of the folks the designed the battery You purchased.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:59 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Do you have the Club Car ERIC charger? If so, have you updated the charge algorithm in the charger for Trojan batteries?

You said your prior set of Trojans, was that a prior set in this same cart?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:26 PM   #7
Mikefili
Getting Wild
Club Car

Yes the cart has the Eric charger, and yes the prior Trojans I speak of are the first set that the cart came with, would that mean the algorithm would have been set for Trojans?
The first set of batteries lasted exactly 3 years, although someone else might have not changed them out so quickly.
Mikefili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:31 AM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I would not assume that the charge algorithm was previously changed. If you haven't set or checked to make sure the algorithm is set for Trojan batteries then you need to do that. Using the wrong algorithm will shorten battery life. If it's still set for the factory algorithm it will cause drastically higher water consumption in the Trojan batteries and they will be chronically overcharged.

Download the Delta-Q IDAT software here https://delta-q.com/software-accessories/
and get the stored charge data off of the charger to verify the algorithm is set to #3 for Trojan batteries.
If it is not set for #3 use the directions here to upload the correct algorithm to the charger: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...9&postcount=11
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:08 PM   #9
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The US Batteries that came with my cart spilled acid mist a lot during charge and I had to clean the battery bay often.

I switched to new batteries and kept filling then all the way to the manufacturer mark on the bottom of the fill tube.

I never had any more acid mist and I used then for 7 years until I just recently converted to lithium.

The only thing I remember on the US Batteries is that the seals on the caps were kind of damaged and not smooth, likely due to sloppy handling by the golf club maintenance folks when watering them.

As long as You keep the tops of the batteries clean when removing and replacing the caps to prevent debris or dirt from being trapped and creating an abrasive action on the seals, just follow the water level recommendation of the folks the designed the battery You purchased.
interesting sergio.
old batteries were panasonic, they lasted 7 years, 4 years with me leaking all over the garage.
my cart is stock with obc. i'm temped to fill them up to the split.
i typically hose off the batteries before opening the caps to keep contamination out.
our well water is hard, i buy distilled water for use in the batteries
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car