lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2020, 01:51 AM   #1
billythekid13
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default '97 DS not Charging - OBC clicks twice after unplug

I have BRAND new batteries in an otherwise perfectly running 48v '97 DS. I bought this cart with dead batteries, replaced them with new ones, and now the charger won't kick on (cart ran great but I did not run it very far). I tried to charge the cart with 3 different chargers, all of which currently work on other carts. When I plug in the charger to the '97 DS, nothing happens with the charger nor the cart. BUT- when I unplug the charger from the cart, I can immediately AND distinctly hear one click coming from the OBC. Then about 2 seconds later, another click from the OBC.

Any thoughts??
billythekid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2020, 09:50 AM   #2
billythekid13
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: '97 DS not Charging - OBC clicks twice after unplug

bump... and the OBC will click twice if I flip the Tow/Run switch..
Old 06-03-2020, 10:58 AM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

There is nothing mechanical in the OBC to click, but you could hear the solenoid activating if it is the lockout on/off. The only click is usually the relay in the charger.

Lets bypass the OBC and test it. Do you know how to do that? (And does this cart have an FNR lever or a Fwd/Rev rocker switch?)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:11 AM   #4
billythekid13
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
There is nothing mechanical in the OBC to click, but you could hear the solenoid activating if it is the lockout on/off. The only click is usually the relay in the charger.

Lets bypass the OBC and test it. Do you know how to do that? (And does this cart have an FNR lever or a Fwd/Rev rocker switch?)
Got ya... So the solenoid is clicking twice when i unplug the charger from the cart and when i flip the tow/run switch....?

The solenoid (i think) also gives a pretty high pitched buzzing sound when I’m driving.

My question- WHY would the solenoid be activating when i flip the tow/run switch? Does this have something to do with the OBC not functioning and not allowing the cart to charge? Hmmmm.

To answer your questions-

The F/R switch is a rocker switch.
No I do not know how to bypass the OBC. I looked for a sticky thread but could not find it.

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:24 AM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

That is a characteristic of an early regen cart. The solenoid would close in when powered up. You have a very early Regen 2 (Power Drive Plus). The later models and IQ's do not operate that way.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:27 AM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

To bypass for testing purposes, you need to run both the black 10g wire and the grey "sense" wire from the back of the charger receptacle directly to the pack negative battery post. I connect a jumper from the charge port to the Main Neg and I break the grey wire at the fuse holder and connect it to the main neg. This is only a temporary connection to quickly test the charger.Then plug the charger in and see if it works.

Be sure before you do this that you check the bullet fuse on the grey wire and make sure it is not blown.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:37 AM   #7
billythekid13
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
To bypass for testing purposes, you need to run both the black 10g wire and the grey "sense" wire from the back of the charger receptacle directly to the pack negative battery post. I connect a jumper from the charge port to the Main Neg and I break the grey wire at the fuse holder and connect it to the main neg. This is only a temporary connection to quickly test the charger.Then plug the charger in and see if it works.

Be sure before you do this that you check the bullet fuse on the grey wire and make sure it is not blown.
Ok I will do this in a few hours. I have checked the fuse and it is indeed operable.

Last question before I test. If the OBC is bad, why would the solenoid be clicking when I unplug the charger from the cart (and when i flip the tow/run switch)?
Old 06-03-2020, 11:48 AM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

The run/tow has the power going through it, I am not certain on the plug. Been a long time since I had a R-2...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car