lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
auto36
Not Yet Wild

Default charging 8 volt batteries

can i use a 6 or 12 volt charger to individually charge 8 volt batteries
auto36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: charging 8 volt batteries

you can use a 12 volt charger but don,t leave it unattended and not on for more than 1/2 hour........................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you have two 12V chargers and hook them in series ( 24V ) you can charge three 8V batteries that are hooked in series ( 24V ) I have heard of folks charging one 8V battery with a 12V charger, but it would not be something I would do. In addition it would overload and possibly burn out the charger, if it didn't have some sort of circuit protection!

If you are trying to get dead batteries up enough for a cart charger to come on, you could try charging one 8V battery at a time on the 6V setting. This will hurt absolutely nothing, but you may not get enough of a charge to operate your cart charger. The first method I suggested works great, if you have 2 chargers!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

only problem with a 6 volt charger is it takes forever and a day............i have used 12 volt charger plenty but would never walk away from it and always just a minimum amount of time....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
only problem with a 6 volt charger is it takes forever and a day............i have used 12 volt charger plenty but would never walk away from it and always just a minimum amount of time....................................
I tried it once, but it pegged the amp meter and tripped out the circuit breaker in the charger! Mine is an old Sears charger, though. The newer ones probably have an automatic current control ( that is a total guess on my part )
Old 12-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have had good luck with any 12v charger that has a 2-3 amp charge on an 8v.
You have to watch the battery temp. If it gets more than slightly warm holding your hand on the side then you are charging too fast.

CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION! Don't try this at home..... Do it at work where somebody else's insurance will cover it .....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I have had good luck with any 12v charger that has a 2-3 amp charge on an 8v.
You have to watch the battery temp. If it gets more than slightly warm holding your hand on the side then you are charging too fast.

CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION! Don't try this at home..... Do it at work where somebody else's insurance will cover it .....
Old 12-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
auto36
Not Yet Wild

Thanks simple man. I do have two 12v chargers and i'll try that. My charger won't kick on and i only have 27v on the pack. Hope this will work. Do i need to break them up in two packs or just put 2 chargers on in sequence?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You may try this.

Put 12v charger #1 on the main positive and the negative of the next battery in series. Plug it in set to it's highest output if adjustable.
Put 12v charger #2 on the main negative and the positive of the next battery in series. Turn it on also & set to it's highest output if adjustable.

Let it charge like this for 15-20 minutes.
Now plug in the cart charger and see if it does come on within a minute.... when it comes on remove the 12v chargers.

If it does not come on check the cart voltage at the charge receptacle and post that number here while letting the chargers continue.

You can always open the charger and jump the relay to get it to charge, then remove the jumper after awhile and retry.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
auto36
Not Yet Wild

are you saying put charger #1 on first battery and #2 on the next battery or the fourth battery
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car