lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #11
mikev14x
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: charging 8 volt batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
If you have two 12V chargers and hook them in series ( 24V ) you can charge three 8V batteries that are hooked in series ( 24V ) I have heard of folks charging one 8V battery with a 12V charger, but it would not be something I would do. In addition it would overload and possibly burn out the charger, if it didn't have some sort of circuit protection!

If you are trying to get dead batteries up enough for a cart charger to come on, you could try charging one 8V battery at a time on the 6V setting. This will hurt absolutely nothing, but you may not get enough of a charge to operate your cart charger. The first method I suggested works great, if you have 2 chargers!
How would I go about hooking the chargers in a series? Do I connect 12v+ to first battery and negative to the other charger and then connect the 12v- to the third battery?
mikev14x is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2016, 07:29 PM   #12
cjfrog
Not Yet Wild

Scotty
How do I "jump the relay" ?
Please be specific since I am a novice
Thanks
Chuck
cjfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:17 PM   #13
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfrog View Post
Scotty
How do I "jump the relay" ?
Please be specific since I am a novice
Thanks
Chuck
Check out this thread and picture at post # 13 http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...charger-2.html
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:14 PM   #14
cjfrog
Not Yet Wild

Thank you so much. Very good directions. I will get a jumper wire and give it a try.
Thanks again
Chuck
cjfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:48 PM   #15
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just as an FYI, You do not need a jumper, the Relay contact quick connect is the same size as as the AC Breaker (0.250").

Just move the transformer wire from the Relay to the Breaker, see picture below with my annotations on the bottom right.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...ger_jumper.jpg
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:34 PM   #16
DALESATTER
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You may try this.

Put 12v charger #1 on the main positive and the negative of the next battery in series. Plug it in set to it's highest output if adjustable.
Put 12v charger #2 on the main negative and the positive of the next battery in series. Turn it on also & set to it's highest output if adjustable.

Let it charge like this for 15-20 minutes.
Now plug in the cart charger and see if it does come on within a minute.... when it comes on remove the 12v chargers.

If it does not come on check the cart voltage at the charge receptacle and post that number here while letting the chargers continue.

You can always open the charger and jump the relay to get it to charge, then remove the jumper after awhile and retry.
I know this is an old post, but I had the same problem on my 2009 Precedent, batteries fully discharged. I replaced the solenoid. I put a jumper on the charger, let it charge for about an hour, removed the jumper and the charger took over as operating normally. It has now charged all night for about 17 hours and the charger meter needle is straight up at 7 amps, the cart volt meter is reading 52 volts. My question is, how long should it take to fully recharge before the charger amp meter slows down, the needle drops, and the charger goes into standby?
DALESATTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 02:10 PM   #17
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would start a new thread on this but if its been 17 hours I would stop , let batteries rest a while , check water level and get the voltage of each battery before I hook back up....one or more battery may not be coming up as well as the others....
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:38 AM   #18
DALESATTER
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I checked voltage of each battery, all at about 8.15 volts each. Then I let the batteries set for a week and voltage held in all batteries, so no short. I plugged the charger back in after setting so long and let it charge all night for about 13 hours. I unplugged charger and rechecked the individual battery voltage, now at about 8.55 volts each. Plugged the charger back in and amp meter has dropped to 6 amps but is still charging. My question is, will these batteries ever fully recharge again? They were new in 2018.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:54 PM   #19
DALESATTER
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Just a quick follow up, I let the charger charge all night and by morning the charger had completed and was in standby mode, so all is good, everything seems to be back to normal. Thanks Budule and all the previous posters!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car