lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-30-2008, 08:57 PM   #51
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 12v battery discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
When you compare the price of a golf cart battery to how much battery you are getting the 6-volt golf cart battery cannot be beat.

Figure dollar per amp hour and life.

You pretty much have everything covered, 72 volts is a nice upgrade but not cheap to do right.

I use a CC F/R switch that has been beefed up by PlumQuick. I have put over 1000 amps through it and it is still in good shape.
Thanks guys. Andy, Nate, and Roady, You just can't get this kind of info anywhere but buggiesgonewild.com It's been a long hard pull for an electrially challenged feller like myself to wrap my mind around this voltage boost proposition. 36 to 48 was a piece of cake. 72v is a big step up. This thread has turned out to be very informative thanks to you all. I know I'm still fuzzy on a few pieces here. But I've grasped the basics and almost ready to make a decision... .......
True or False -that the best cart to do this to is a series cart = True. Right?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-30-2008, 09:11 PM   #52
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

As most you know I'm a Ezgo man mainly. I have used there parts for the most part on my own stuff. Nate is right and P/Q has a nice F/R switch. I used a Ezgo one in the Mud buggie beefed up with the heavy duty bus bars. I also made all the cables myself using a crimper tool with 1/2" copper tubing for the ends. I mash the one end flat with a vise then crimp it on the cables.
One thing on the P/Q F/R switch is I don't like the cables moving around. I like good tight connections.

This is just a factory F/R switch I have and I'm talking about the two stud's in the middle that rotate on the cam.

scottyb,
What are you asking about the controller?
Nate and I have talked about controller's over the phone and Nate has a nice setup...VERY NICE just it's a little to pricy for a old redneck cart like mine.
I have opinion on controller's in general and this is only a opinion of mine. Most golfcart's want ever need more than 400amp controller and anything over that is a waste of money. That being said I mean most. The average cart want ever need it. Like my beach cart it has no need for it. My mud buggie has 450 now and it performs very well for what I wanted. Nates 1200 amp isn't a toy and he can proove it and his cart needs it. Some day I hope the mud buggie will too!!!
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:59 PM   #53
Nate
Gone Wild

I prefer series motors, I have analyzed shunt motors and they do have a place but the problem (as I see it) is the controller must regulate the field current. If the current is too high you loose the field, if the current is too low you loose the armature. Series motors self regulate their field.

According to PlumQuick EZ-GO has the beefiest F/R switch stock and Club Car is second.

High amp controllers are needed mainly for speed motors that are trying to produce low-end torque. Other high amps situations would be competitions where you count tenths of a second. If a cart is set up right you will get plenty of performance with a 400 amp controller.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:52 AM   #54
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I just recently bought a Logisystems 480. It was recommended to me as a controller the cart could 'grow' with. Do I understand correctly that this 48v controller will work with 64, even 72 volts as well?
The CC I got has the moving wire F/R and first thing I saw was a fatigued and 1/2 broken wire on it.....My old Melex has a big solid looking switch on it (ezgo type).
Well, both of my carts are 48v coil jobs right now. They run better than when on 36 but, they could run stronger. I'm sure if I ever rode in a 72v cart I would not hesitate to make the switch. I just haven't had the opportunity.
I was looking at a couple of project carts today - got some time off work - one is an 89 metal body Ezgo with controller. Other is a 97 series Ezgo. Both are no batts / no charger models.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:37 AM   #55
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

What kind of voltage can it handle? AMP'S doesn't change. It will have a stamp on it or at least a number on it for what voltage it is. Well it should have.
Rest assured if you ride in a 72 volt cart or a 144 volt cart it's over you will never be happy with a stock 36 or 48 volt cart.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:36 AM   #56
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Andy, 36-48v .
I sent you a pm w/ link 'to description'
Old 01-31-2008, 11:48 AM   #57
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

PM,
As I stated in my answer don't put more than 48 volts to the controller you have.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:59 AM   #58
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

GOTCHA. Controller was purchased for 48v cart conversion. Thanks for the Heads up, Andy and the PMs.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:22 AM   #59
Nate
Gone Wild

Listen to Andy on the controller; the internal components will burn up if you apply more than rated voltage.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #60
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Andy, 36-48v .
I sent you a pm w/ link 'to description'
Also originaaly posted by scottyb:
"GOTCHA. Controller was purchased for 48v cart conversion. "

???????????
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!