lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
tykuhn
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Gas EZGO Won't Go

I have a Gas 98 EZGO cart that all at once stopped going. Engine runs fine. Clutch engages (spins and narrows as expected). Cart does not go. On an earlier version I had this happened and it was just a rear brake drum. I checked and it was stripped smooth so I replaced the drivers side that was stripped. It still does not go. I checked the other side and it is fine. Can you tell me what might be wrong? I'm guessing something inside the rear end. If you have a suggestion or two I can check I'd appreciate it. Also, if you can give me instuctions on how to go about the repair that too would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
tykuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
TeamRMS
Hey Wally, its the Beaver

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Gas EZGO Won't Go

are both clutches moving when u step on the gas? If so then i would have to say that either the pinion or ring gear are stripped out. I guess what i would do is pull the cover off the rear differential and start inspecting things from there.
TeamRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
tykuhn
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes, both clutches are moving. That is, (this is from ignorance) the V narrows as the clutch spins and it pinchesthe belt driving the pulley on the transmission. I will take off the cover and see if I can find anything.

Is the replacement of either of these described parts (pinion or ring gear) a difficult task? I'm pretty handy but have not been inside one of these as yet. I'll try anything once!!! Thanks for the reply. After making a visual inspection I'll reply again to let you know what I find!
Old 05-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
TeamRMS

E-Z-GO

Ok, the primary clutch(mounted on engine) will close when the rpm's of the engine increase and the secondary clutch(axle mounted) will open up as the speed and rpm's increase. As long as both of these are doing what i explained then you have a problem in the differential is what i am thinking. As far as replacing them they are not to bad to do as i am comparing them to the automotive ones i work on. the biggest thing is getting the clearences right between the ring gear and pinion gear so they do not wear funny and howl.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
tykuhn
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I've just gone out to look again as curiosity overcame me. I looked for an inspection plate and did not find one on the transmission. Perhaps you are talking about the inspection plate under the sweater basket that is about 18" by 18" made of plastic held down by torque screws. I'm guessing I need to remove the whole rear end to find the two gears you are talking about.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
tykuhn
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

After reviewing your last post I went out, started the cart and the engine clutch narrows and the axle mounted clutch widens when rpm advances.

With this in mind I am assuming the next thing is to remove the rear axle/transmission. Is there a manual that would tell me what to take apart so I don't end up with a huge pile of parts removed that has nothing to do with what I am about to undertake?
Old 05-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
TeamRMS

E-Z-GO

Ty, if you look under your cart from the rear you will see the axle housing, i am not 100% possitive as i am at work and dont have my books in front of me but you will see the rear end cover, kind of looks like a dished bowl, attached to the axle by some bolts its just a meal cover that is dished out. See if you can find that and let me know. i will be on here for a while yet.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
tykuhn
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

It all looks pretty solid to me. I see the drain plug, the plug to tell if you have enough fluid and the yellow plastic fill plug. Of course the bolts that hold the case together but nothing that appears to be an inspection plate.

I had a thought just now. When I have set valves on these carts, I always put the direction selector in the neutral/center position to start the engine. It actually acts like the selector is in this position. Have you ever heard of this happening?

Wish I had the manual for this!
Old 05-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

there will not be a cover on a 98 transaxle.
pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

this is what you have

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...d-diagram.html
pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO