lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-07-2020, 09:08 AM   #1
Hilly1974
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Predator 420 in G14 wiring to use generator

I have used the predator wiring and extended to dash I don’t have trouble turning over engine just not sure how to hook up the S/G to use only as a generator. I left the factory solenoid and voltage regulator in place and I would think I have to hook up the enticement wire on the solenoid to the run position on the key switch so the current will flow to the battery but not sure. Also I am unsure if I need the voltage regulator so the generator doesn’t overcharge battery. Definitely not an electrician but the neighbor is and he is unsure as it is not house wiring lol any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hilly1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-07-2020, 11:17 AM   #2
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: Predator 420 in G14 wiring to use generator

This is how to setup the starter/generator, yes will need the regulator.

P power from the battery to the key switch.
K power from the key switch to turn system on.
Ground the black wire -- make sure you have a good body and frame ground
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G8_G9 Schematic Color-Corrected_LI (2).jpg (140.6 KB, 0 views)
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:18 AM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

A much easier way would have been to leave the whole S/G system in tact in the cart a merely used a kill wire circuit. Not using the 420 starter either.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 05:36 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I never figured out how you do that. You can put a bypass switch on the foot pedal switch and that will make it run all the time the key is on. However its hard to change gears that way unless you have a clutch that does not drag.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:48 AM   #5
Hilly1974
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
This is how to setup the starter/generator, yes will need the regulator.

P power from the battery to the key switch.
K power from the key switch to turn system on.
Ground the black wire -- make sure you have a good body and frame ground
Shepard
Thank you I am going to try this today to see if it will work on my setup. I think I should have left the starter generator original but we are past that now. Thanks again.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:50 PM   #6
Hilly1974
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

A big thanks to Shepherd and sho305 I now have a running charging golf cart. I replaced the original switch that came on the Predator 420 with a simple 5 pin switch for on a tractor so I had power in the run position. I ran that through the accelerator pedal switch so when the pedal is depressed it energizes the S/G and the relay to start the machine. I can also start it with the factory starter if needed. I agree with raydhd it would have been a lot easier to keep the original wiring but I didn’t have that option. Appreciate everyone an Thank you
Old 11-14-2020, 11:31 AM   #7
Hilly1974
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Well everything runs good however cart will not go uphill I think my belt is way to loose. If I put it in reverse I can get up the small grade to the garage but not in forward
Old 11-15-2020, 01:07 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The 420 has more power than stock cart engine, it should be more powerful. Sometimes you have to tweak the governor to hit 4k rpm if you have it on the engine, some cart clutches will not fully shift at 3600 which will cut your power.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:22 PM   #9
Hilly1974
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks sho305 I will try that I did leave the governor on due to kids riding it. The clutch is pretty weak so I am going to probably change it out since the primary is new
Old 12-05-2020, 11:00 AM   #10
Hilly1974
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

New secondary clutch with heavy duty spring and tweaked the governor a little still bogs to a stall on a hill and gets locked in gear at times. Seems like there is tremendous strain on the engine when it stalls. Still trying to work it out
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps