lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-26-2020, 11:49 AM   #1
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default MCI issue

I helped a friend of mine yesterday that has a 2005 ezgo with the MCI engine. It stopped firing.

I keep a good MCI ignitor and coil for testing so I tried them and still no fire. I checked all the wiring and everything was fine. It actually looked just like it came from the factory.

I then checked the pulser coil. It checks bad according to my DVOM. Ohms shows nothing. 0.000. To make sure my meter was not fooling me I checked a pre mci pulser I have and got the correct reading but it won't work on this MCI engine.

We removed it as I thought I had one. So far I can't find it in my shop but I know at one time I had one. Now I am finding they are no longer available anywhere.

So he has got this great looking 05 cart that he can no longer use.

I wonder if ezgo will ever stock these pulser coils again? If not then no way would I ever want a cart with the MCI engine in it.

Country Cat shows this pulser but when you put it in the cart it tells me no longer available.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-26-2020, 12:49 PM   #2
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: MCI issue

Have you tried using the pre MCI pulsar coil? Should be just a pick up to deliver signal to the ignitor and coil.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:51 PM   #3
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Have you got any MCI flywheels laying around? I am not sure, but may have a spare MCI pulssr available.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:23 PM   #4
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPonLKN View Post
Have you tried using the pre MCI pulsar coil? Should be just a pick up to deliver signal to the ignitor and coil.
Bolt pattern on the MCI is different. MCI pulser is longer where it bolts on. These engines are different. I have actually thought of trying to make one work but if it don't I have trashed it.
I can find everything I took on the MCI block except the Pulser in 2018. I know it was once here.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #5
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPonLKN View Post
Have you got any MCI flywheels laying around? I am not sure, but may have a spare MCI pulssr available.
Let me know if you got one and how much you want for it. The two wires on the MCI pulser is blue and green. Pre MCI is red with white stripe and black. Flywheels are different but I do have both here. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:42 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I may have one laying around but I’ll have to look and see.

Being that ezgo discontinued the MCI engine 12 or 13 years ago, I doubt they will ever have them again. Manufacturers are required to produce parts or otherwise cover vehicles during the warranty period. But once the warranty period is up they’re off the hook legally. They do frequently stock replacement parts for longer, though it’s lifespan is fueled by demand of the part. If people constantly buy carbs, they’ll keep making them. But since pulsar coils so rarely fail, being it’s not a high demand part I’m sure it’s gone forever.

That aside, I’d never own a MCI powered cart anyway. That’s part of the reasons the ones I’ve had, I sold for super cheap. When they run, they run great. But I dislike the design changes in the motor that I feel make it inferior to the pre-mci or other models with different (serviceable) engines. I like ezgo’s they run and ride great. But the increased difficulty of sourcing oem parts for any of the 2 cylinders is really a turnoff for me.

Anyway rant over. I’ll check my hoard for a pulsar and let you know if I find one :)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:01 PM   #7
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I may have one laying around but I’ll have to look and see.

Being that ezgo discontinued the MCI engine 12 or 13 years ago, I doubt they will ever have them again. Manufacturers are required to produce parts or otherwise cover vehicles during the warranty period. But once the warranty period is up they’re off the hook legally. They do frequently stock replacement parts for longer, though it’s lifespan is fueled by demand of the part. If people constantly buy carbs, they’ll keep making them. But since pulsar coils so rarely fail, being it’s not a high demand part I’m sure it’s gone forever.

That aside, I’d never own a MCI powered cart anyway. That’s part of the reasons the ones I’ve had, I sold for super cheap. When they run, they run great. But I dislike the design changes in the motor that I feel make it inferior to the pre-mci or other models with different (serviceable) engines. I like ezgo’s they run and ride great. But the increased difficulty of sourcing oem parts for any of the 2 cylinders is really a turnoff for me.

Anyway rant over. I’ll check my hoard for a pulsar and let you know if I find one :)
Thanks for looking . Just PM me if you find it. Enjoy this Thanksgiving.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:33 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Sorry, not here. I’ve got an igniter, flywheel and a fan but no pulsar.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:29 PM   #9
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Sorry, not here. I’ve got an igniter, flywheel and a fan but no pulsar.
Thanks, I appreciate you looking. Same with me. Pulser is not to be found.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:34 PM   #10
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Only two I have are on the two MCI motors I have that are going in the MPT 800s. The plan is to put one in tomorrow. One of those motors is missing a flywheel though, and I know I don't have one here or in the parts yard. There may be a spare pulsar coil at the shop, I'll have to get over there to do a bit of searching. If I find one, I would be happy to do a straight swap for a flywheel and fan for a MCI motor if you have one. What part of the country are you in? NC here.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO