lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
vzdude
Gone Wild

Default Re: welding the clutch??? with picture

Not "those" kinds of wonders though. I would consider cutting off the studs, drilling the tower ( the cast part the studs go into ) and try allthread or just tap the holes and put long bolts in from the front.
vzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #12
dewy
Getting Wild

Ya, maybe i will just do that... that sounds easy enough
dewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #13
dewy
Getting Wild

im sure i am getting on your guy's nerves by now, haha... sorry... but just one quick thing... i only paid $300 for this cart... i am not very mechanically inclined and i have very few patience.. i rebuilt the carb and cleaned and painted the rest of the cart up to get it running, i dont want to spend much more time or any more money on this thing, in order to drill and tap the towers... i would need to take the clutch completely off of the cart... which would mean i would have to purchase a clutch puller, and it would take quite a bit of time (and i am also not very mechanically inclined).. i only bought this cart to use on the golf course for this season, and only bought it because it was cheap... if the clutch were to ever give out on me, chances are i would either sell the cart, without fixing it, as is, or just buy a completely new clutch, or maybe even just park the cart for good... which brings me back to welding the clutch.. if i "NEVER" plan on taking the clutch apart, what would be wrong with just welding it? I only plan on using this cart for this golf season, then buying something newer, so i only need it to last this season... if welding it is going to completely screw up the operation of the clutch then i dont want to do that, but if it will work, then i am just going to weld three tack welds along the seam where the cover and the flange join.. if someone knows if this would cause the clutch to malfunction in anyway, let me know... i know there are better, proper ways to fix it (all time consuming) but im just looking for a quick fix that will work, the internals of the clutch all look like they are in great shape, so im not worried about the clutch wearing out, so if welding the cover on will work (either jb weld, or mig weld on lowest heat setting), im going to do it that way..... im not worried about my clutch internalls breaking or wearing anytime in the future so i dont think i will need to remove the cover ever in the carts lifetime (2 or 3 years max)......
the pro's to welding would be
1. quick
2. easy
3. cover will never fall off

cons
1. need to grind down the welds if i ever want to replace clutch internals (which i wont, if the clutch fails, it will just get parked)

if anyone knows any reasons why i should "NOT" weld please tell me.. but if welding it will work, regardless or whether its the properway to fix it, thats what i would like to do...
Old 05-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #14
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I am sorry I wasted my time when this is the attitude you have towards a piece of
machinery that some one would give their eye teeth for.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #15
dewy
Getting Wild

haha...i am 22 years old... this is my first ever golf cart, first time ever working on anything before... i bought it more for using it to golf, not to waste precious time and money getting it into show room condition.. this cart was old and ugly when we got it, ive spend over 30 hours of time rebuilding the carb, cleaning and painting the entire cart, and rebuilding and re-vinyling the seats... i dont have the $, or the time at the moment to start pulling it all apart "AGAIN", and buy new parts.. im very proud of the work i have done to this cart, and am very proud of the outcome... this cart was a great learning experience, but i am ready for it to be out on the course and out of the shop, if welding will work for now, i would like to weld it, perhaps when i get money, and time to do a proper fix i will, and if i dont, it could be a project for my two nephews (10, and 11 years old) to fix up for themselves when they turn 15/16 (when it conks out on me)... untill i broke those two bolts today, it was %100 restored and ready to go, and i did all the work myself, and am very proud of that, i am just asking a simple question... will welding the cover onto the flange work... thats all i want to know... i know of the "better" and "proper" ways to fix it, but i just want a quick fix for the time being..

so back to the original question... will welding the cover to the flange work? simple yes, or simple no answer would help me out a great amount!! thanks for your time!!
Old 05-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #16
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Sounds to me like a complete waste of time, of course I mean this thread. Fix it right the first time or simply dont bother. More importantly, if you dont want to know how to fix it right dont ask!

Good luck
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #17
dewy
Getting Wild

sorry you feel that way... if you go back to the first post, i never did ask how to fix it properly, i ask if i could be welded, and nothing else... of course... i did not know the proper way to fix it, and now i do, thanks to peoples responses, and i am thankfull for that... but my original question was asking if it could be welded, not what the proper fixes were, and no one has answered my original question yet, i know it is stupid to not fix it properly the first time, but i dont have the time right now to fix it properly, and i need it on the course for tommorow.. i only wanted to know if welding it would work, or if it wouldnt!!! if need be i will fix it properly down the road... but for now i just want to know if tack welding the cover in 3 places to hold the cover on would work... i didnt think it was a hard question to answer for people who were mechanically inclinded (unlike me) but after 10 responses no one has givin me a clear yes or no answer, and thats all im looking for... thanks for all the responses, i do appreciate them, and im glad people on here take the time to help others out.. i now know how to "properly" fix it, but would just like to know if welding it would work...
Old 05-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #18
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewy View Post
sorry you feel that way... if you go back to the first post, i never did ask how to fix it properly, i ask if i could be welded, and nothing else... of course... i did not know the proper way to fix it, and now i do, thanks to peoples responses, and i am thankfull for that... but my original question was asking if it could be welded, not what the proper fixes were, and no one has answered my original question yet, i know it is stupid to not fix it properly the first time, but i dont have the time right now to fix it properly, and i need it on the course for tommorow.. i only wanted to know if welding it would work, or if it wouldnt!!! if need be i will fix it properly down the road... but for now i just want to know if tack welding the cover in 3 places to hold the cover on would work... i didnt think it was a hard question to answer for people who were mechanically inclinded (unlike me) but after 10 responses no one has givin me a clear yes or no answer, and thats all im looking for... thanks for all the responses, i do appreciate them, and im glad people on here take the time to help others out.. i now know how to "properly" fix it, but would just like to know if welding it would work...
No!
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #19
dewy
Getting Wild

now that wasnt hard was it? thats all i was looking for...
Old 05-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #20
WGW Foods
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I do not think any one here has welded one. We would not weld it we would fix it in one of the ways above. So for A quick fix WELD IT and let us know how it worked out for you .
WGW Foods is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO