lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #21
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2pg clutch puller help

If you can get some sort of wire brush in there, that would help! Keep it wet with Aerokroil or PB Blaster, and just work the threads. If you can run the bolt in til it stops, run it out, spray it again, then run the bolt in again. After a while, the threads will clear out!

Jon
EZ-GoingJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #22
steveb05
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

repeat: I have one that is 14mm 1.5 thread. Its likely a non-stock clutch. Minke came with the John Deere snowmobile engine I have.
steveb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #23
bbrazil
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

going to grab a 14mm tomorrow just to see. bolts are cheap
bbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #24
bbrazil
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

well, it was 14mm x 1.5. got the clutch off tonight with the impact gun. came right off pretty easy. the clutch says comet on it. i'm guessing that it is aftermarket. any words of advice or how too on pulling the fan. that is the job for tomorrow night. thanks of all the help. steveb05 you were right
Old 01-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #25
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This is thanks to BrewCityMusic~~~

Whatever you do, do NOT try and pry it off, you can and will damage the crankcase! First, start by removing the nut that holds the flywheel onto the crankshaft. Second, using either a steering wheel or flywheel puller apply a moderate amount of pressure to the flywheel, then slowly rotate it while tapping around the edges with a hammer. Be patient, it can take up to 15 minutes to get it to pop, but eventually it will. A good hint is to purchase the hardest bolts you can to use with the puller, the standard grade 8's that come with the pullers can and will bend or break if your flywheel decides to be stubborn (and chances are it will)

Be careful of a few things, if you are using the factory oiler, make sure to protect the end of the crankshaft (you can use a socket over the end to ensure you don't damage it), also, be sure to not lose the woodruff key that aligns the flywheel, you'll need to reuse it when you reinstall.

Also, it doesn't hurt (and actually is almost a neccessity if the flywheel hasn't been off in awhile) to soak the heck out of it with a good penetrating oil such as PB Blaster, etc (WD40 just won't cut it here, you need a good quality penetrant to get into the flywheel/crank connection). I sprayed mine every time I walked by it for about a day and a half prior to attempting the removal, and I can honestly say that without it I'd probably STILL be trying to pull it!
Old 01-26-2011, 07:16 AM   #26
steveb05
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Glad it worked out. Jon is dead on with the fan pulling. From there, everything comes apart pretty easy.
steveb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #27
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you are taking the clutch and flywheel off, i would HIGHLY recommend putting some anti-seize on the crank shaft where the clutch and flywheel attatch. This will make future removal easier! And believe me, once you get them off, you will not want to fight it AGAIN!

Jon
Old 01-26-2011, 08:25 AM   #28
bonduranth
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If in doubt, take the engine to a good hardware store where they have sock of metric and standard. Trial and error. There has to be a bolt that will fit. Measure the depth of the hole. Remembeer that that rod must be just smaller than the hole so as to not mess up the mounting bolt. Subtract 1/2 inch from depth and cut a rod to correct length. I have been working on EZ-GO for years and have 5 different bolts and 4 different rods. Run up on aftermarket, and EZ-GO did use 3 different clutches.
bonduranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:25 AM   #29
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

bb, i would not use a puller on the edges of the flywheel. on the face of the flywheel are two machines. the holes they are in are for pulling the fly. we used about 3-4 inch metric screws.. insert them in the holes and use a steering wheel puller. even then it is a struggle sometimes. we used some pb and just let sit with tension on it and POP, off it came. also, try to find grade 8 or the metric equivalent screws. good luck
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #30
bbrazil
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

does anyone know what bolt size those 2 metric holes for pulling are? Are they 6mm? Looks like they are going to need to be about 3 inches long.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO