lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2011, 05:35 AM   #1
berthasquare
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default EZGO does not fire

I have a 96 ezgo Workhorse. New spark plugs, new ignition coil, new intake valves, carburetor okay as it was just borrowed from another running workhorse. It does not fire but plugs have spark when grounded.

If I step on the gas pedal, fuel comes out of the carburetor.I know it's not a carb problem. Could it be timing problem? But I have checked the timing belt positions many many times and I believe the installation is correct.

I have not checked compression but I suspect its real low. Would this be the reason for the spitting out of gas?
berthasquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO does not fire

"I have not checked compression but I suspect its real low. Would this be the reason for the spitting out of gas?"

If you are referring to a motor spitting gas out of the carburetor when you try to start it it is a timing or valve issue... because basically the intake is not closed when the piston comes up and the compression forces the fuel mixture back out the carb. So check valve timing & adjustment
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
kaolinemine
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

How did you line up the timing marks, on balance shaft gear. I saw a gear with a dot on it the other day, thats not the mark to use , it is the key way that lines up. just a thought, sometimes it is the simple things that kick our butt.
kaolinemine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
berthasquare
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the inputs. I got it right already. Carb now sucking in gas but still won't fire up. I've checked compression and it's really really low. Waiting for new piston and ring sets .25 OS.

The upper pulley (the bigger one on top) is correctly aligned. The small one the bottom is off. I had to turn it all the way 180 degrees.

Also, connection to the ignition coil (wire coming from the solenoid and the other from the igniter) was reversed as I was not really concerned about polarity issues. From experience, either way works but to obtain maximum output, the connections should be correct. (I just read an article on coil polarity).
berthasquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO