lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2019, 09:49 PM   #61
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Chrysler ignition module and voltage regulator on g2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Ryan View Post
Just did this I mine! Thank you OP and others in this thread! Best $26 I've spent on it so far!
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2019, 09:20 AM   #62
broncosaurs
Not Yet Wild

I have a g2 with an ignition module that all the pins corroded off. Looking for a replacement. Sure would be nice to get spark advance out of an aftermarket setup.

As for the spark advance of the stock module, the way yamaha did this as the pickup, or the pulser as yamaha calls it, the voltage output rise from the pulser is related to the speed of the crank. The ignition module waits for the voltage of the pulser to rise to 1v (i think) when it does reach 1v the module fires the spark. So at start or slow rpm the spark is retarded because the rise in voltage to the 1v takes longer. At higher rpms the rise happens much faster and so the spark is advanced. A very ingenious way for spark advance.
broncosaurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:24 PM   #63
broncosaurs
Not Yet Wild

Question about wiring the crysler module:

Post 53 shows batt+ going to the module and also going to a ballast resistor then to the coil.

B+ ----- Module
|
|------- Resistor --- Coil+ ---

Post 54 shows the Batt+ going to the coil and to the resistor then to the module.

B+ ------ Resistor ------ Module
|
|-------- Coil+ -----

Seems post 54 might be wrong. Why would the module need the resistor in series with the power wire?
Old 09-01-2020, 08:20 PM   #64
Skipper342
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims72 View Post
As the title says i have figured out how to wire in a chrysler ignition module or ecm and voltage regulator to my g2 in place of the ever expensive not so reliable gutless yamaha igniter and that expensive over priced voltage regulator that is on the cart now. the new ignition parts will cost you under 30 bucks from auto zone and carry a lifetime warranty. you also are able to retain a rev limiter but it caps out at 5600 rpm instead of 3500.Also i have figured out how to get a more reliable regulation of the voltage by installing the chrysler voltage reg.I was going to use an HEI but the chrysler ignition box is better in many aspects.main one being is it is water proof and vibration proof not to mention being 10x more reliable and capable of handling way more voltage than any stock hei ever could. I will show the diagram i used later if any here are in need of it or if you are interested.The main reason i did the switch was not for performance it was because yamaha is a bunch of greedy A$$^%!$ and want way to much for their stuff .So not only is this a cheaper more affordable route its actually smarter and more efficient.
Jims72- Need help, I have installed the Chrysler ignition module per your instructions. Plus I have wired around all of the plastic connectors. And replaced coil new. Engine will not start ... no spark at plug. I have a G2 I think, cannot find SN, year uncertain also. any help would be appreciated.
Skipper342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:13 AM   #65
broncosaurs
Not Yet Wild

Take the ballast resistor out of the circuit and give it a try. I could not get any spark and then removed the resistor and all worked well. I am thinking of replacing the yamaha coil with a car coil because my spark is still a little weak.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:06 PM   #66
Skipper342
Not Yet Wild

jims72 - Not sure you received my post about the Chrysler ignition module conversion. I installed as per your schematic but will not start. Wired around plastic connectors. New coil, power to and from coil, Mag PU shows MVs output. Not sure on switch wire ( power when applying accelerator). Haven't changed spark plug but plug test OK .
Any help would be appreciated. G2 Yamaha not sure of year , no SN found. Thanks
Old 09-04-2020, 08:15 PM   #67
Skipper342
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper342 View Post
jims72 - Not sure you received my post about the Chrysler ignition module conversion. I installed as per your schematic but will not start. Wired around plastic connectors. New coil, power to and from coil, Mag PU shows MVs output. Not sure on switch wire ( power when applying accelerator). Haven't changed spark plug but plug test OK .
Any help would be appreciated. G2 Yamaha not sure of year , no SN found. Thanks
Skipper342 - Turned out the problem was the spark plug. All is working fine now.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:42 PM   #68
Rbelli
Not Yet Wild

I want to install the chrysler ignition module, but the diagram shows 5 pins on module and there are only 4. Also can I unplug the igniter and put spade connectors in the plug or do I need to splice it into the wire. I am new to golf carts, so any help will be appreciated. I came across a G2a 1986, that was in the brush for 10 some years.
Thank you
Rich
Rbelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:26 AM   #69
jp89ezgo
Not Yet Wild

Got a question about the ignitor wiring on a G2...86, I think. I have a blue/black wire coming from the ignitor that I cannot identify...it seems to go to nothing, but the wiring has been redone in this cart before....

any advice would be great. I cannot find this wire in any diagrams, G2, G9 or otherwise.

cart is not running at the moment and I do suspect the ignitor.

thanks in advance

JP

PS, thinking of doing this conversion anyway, the ignitor is probably pretty tired!
jp89ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 10:18 AM   #70
jp89ezgo
Not Yet Wild

still looking for an answer to the blue/black wire question.

the cart does have spark, but timing is wonky...simply wont run, but does backfire through carb.....

any help appreciated!

JP
jp89ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha