lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2014, 06:38 AM   #21
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: VC440 Speed Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffw View Post
Stock clutch is maxed out at 5500on the STOCK engine. All those mods make great power up to 5500 but you are choking that thing out with the stock carb.

-Geoff
I went ahead and ordered the 32mm pumper as per your advice. I'm hoping this will give me better midrange performance. The low end on this thing is pretty good, with good throttle. But when it reaches the mid rpm it seems to start losing it's punch. I'm guessing it's from the jetting, since I backed it off two jets. The better carb will have a little more adjust-ability, correct?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #22
geoffw
Gone Wild

Club Car

The 32mm carb will have much more adjustability and itll open up the airflow from likely 4000+. It really makes a huge difference but they do get tricky to tune.
geoffw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:04 PM   #23
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Some of the kart guys say they like to be more lean at high rpm, so check the plug closely. The stock clone had to be really rich to pull hardest at wot up to 4K+, but then was too rich at part throttle. Mine is not as rich and seems to pull well everywhere but I can tell it is off in some places.

The CV should have good bottom because it has that 'air door' much like the plates over the secondaries of a quadrajet. All they do is not let vacuum fall to zero which can upset both fuel flow in the carb and fuel flow in the intake, and make it puke when you hit the gas suddenly. The engine has to suck the door open, so the carb only opens fully when the engine can handle it. More of an advantage on a lower rpm engine, as a high rpm engine has lots of extra vacuum on hand. Very little chance of a CV being too large for an engine is another advantage of using one.

I tend to go by how much HP a carb will support, and know a 32mm should support more HP than stock or mildly built clones make. That said different types of carbs do flow different amounts for a given XXmm size. The new oval ones are said to flow more.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:01 PM   #24
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Just got my carb. It looks to be really nice quality. This is very similar to the the carbs on my 660 Raptor quad, except there is no c clip on the needle, nor are there any slots for the clip positioning. Also I noted that the plunger for the accelerator pump is spring actuated....wondered how that worked. The spring arm (kinda like a leaf spring) is moved by a roller on the throttle shaft, when the throttle is moved via cable, the shaft rotates and the roller rolls against the spring, which puts pressure on the plunger. Cool. It also came with some spacers, some kind of angled mount (prob for a go kart), and a rubber boot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140807_182549.jpg (174.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20140807_182931.jpg (167.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20140807_183010.jpg (172.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20140807_183019.jpg (145.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20140807_183112.jpg (241.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #25
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

It does have the electronic enrichment feature, so.....how would I hook this up. It it supposed to go to a switch where I push it when I need "choke"?
Old 08-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #26
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Most of the scooters have them, I forget and have to run an errand. May be look up wiring for scooters (the china ones) or carb upgrade for them/etc. There are some nice scooter forums. Also GY6 forums they use them too.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #27
tjequip
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hey Slo, what about using a boat key switch that has push to choke.
tjequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:55 PM   #28
beater cart
Gone Wild

It needs 12v with power on for the enrichment valve.
beater cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #29
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjequip View Post
Hey Slo, what about using a boat key switch that has push to choke.
Yes that would work great if its power on, fine with a relay if its not. Any momentary switch would work, but yeah the boat keys are cooler lol.

Beater- I thought so but was not sure. I was thinking some hooked it to the start wire on the solenoid of a normal starter, like if you did not use the cart generator.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #30
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I think I'll just try something like this....

I figure if it doesn't work I only spent a couple bucks LOL. With my current setup I don't think there is a way to rig up a different switch. I'm using the starter/gen and pedal start.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg push button switch.jpg (11.1 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps