lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2019, 07:07 PM   #1
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Sluggish cart

I have a 2009 Precedent with a battery pack new July of last year. I followed our sticky about the battery break in period. I feel like this thing is running super slow and sluggish. It's very slow off the start. It's leaving me afraid to go far that I might not make it back. We rode 1 mile today, 1 mile, and it felt like we were going to die. Voltage was still showing 46.4 or so at full speed (20mph). When we left the house we were seeing 47.1 for the first half a mile or so.

My dad's cart is a 2011 and his flies off the start like a sling shot. We are both stock but I have a stereo and he doesn't. I added a 48 to 12 reducer, fuse block with neg bus. Not sure how this works but the cart already had lights and blinkers. Looks like there's already a small reducer on there hooked to 2 batteries. I tried to take that out but the lights stopped working properly (I did all of this last year so my memory is a little foggy).
bospider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:20 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Sluggish cart

I am a little confused..... Where is the actual problem at? I see 20mph and that is not slow for a stock cart.....

Where was the pack voltage at before you left?
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:24 PM   #3
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
I am a little confused..... Where is the actual problem at? I see 20mph and that is not slow for a stock cart.....

Where was the pack voltage at before you left?
I think it was at full charge, 50.9. by the time I got home today after a 2 mile run my standing voltage was 48. While driving however I saw it dip down to 45.6 with a slight grade and maintain 46.1 on a straight-away. My concern was the amount of voltage drop in such a short period. It's about how sluggish it's feeling.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:24 AM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bospider01 View Post
I think it was at full charge, 50.9. by the time I got home today after a 2 mile run my standing voltage was 48. While driving however I saw it dip down to 45.6 with a slight grade and maintain 46.1 on a straight-away. My concern was the amount of voltage drop in such a short period. It's about how sluggish it's feeling.
Is this new or has it been like this the whole time. If it has always been this way, then programming could be the answer. If it is new, it is not the programming as that cannot change without you interfacing with it. It is more than likely an underlying issue with the MCOR, failing cable, etc. or your controller could be going and not delivering the amperage you had. Still a lot of possibilities to drill down on.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:47 PM   #5
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Is this new or has it been like this the whole time. If it has always been this way, then programming could be the answer. If it is new, it is not the programming as that cannot change without you interfacing with it. It is more than likely an underlying issue with the MCOR, failing cable, etc. or your controller could be going and not delivering the amperage you had. Still a lot of possibilities to drill down on.
I think it was like this before and I thought the batteries were the issue but it seems not. I bought it second hand, told it had speed 4 and I would think achieving 20mph would confirm that. This is all out of my knowledge base though.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:40 PM   #6
aintgotthis
Not Yet Wild

There are settings in the controller that control how fast the cart takes off called FAST ACCEL which I believe is the one you are after. It is either on or off. There is also a SPEED setting from 1-3 or a #4 if you want to pay for it. SPEED CAL settings from 0-10 also effect speed with the higher number being a percentage slower so actually a higher SPEED CAL number slows you down (0 fastest to 10 being slowest). The PEDAL UP Mode has to do with how the cart reacts when you take your foot off the accelerator for regen braking. All of these settings must be done with a curtis programmer with the proper access level.
aintgotthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:31 PM   #7
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotthis View Post
There are settings in the controller that control how fast the cart takes off called FAST ACCEL which I believe is the one you are after. It is either on or off. There is also a SPEED setting from 1-3 or a #4 if you want to pay for it. SPEED CAL settings from 0-10 also effect speed with the higher number being a percentage slower so actually a higher SPEED CAL number slows you down (0 fastest to 10 being slowest). The PEDAL UP Mode has to do with how the cart reacts when you take your foot off the accelerator for regen braking. All of these settings must be done with a curtis programmer with the proper access level.
I'll have to look further into this. Im almost certain I have the speed 4 installed.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:46 AM   #8
hipower
Getting Wild
Club Car

Sometimes we find ourselves chasing issues that don't exist when we have overlooked the most obvious things. This makes me think that we need to go back to the absolute basics and confirm each battery individually for voltage, both before and after some usage, possibly even when in use. Confirm that all cable connections are clean and tight and that no creeping corrosion has started up the cables. I'm assuming 10 year old cables here.

As I said chasing ghosts when there are none will drive us crazy when the root of our problems are often very basic.
hipower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:45 PM   #9
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipower View Post
Sometimes we find ourselves chasing issues that don't exist when we have overlooked the most obvious things. This makes me think that we need to go back to the absolute basics and confirm each battery individually for voltage, both before and after some usage, possibly even when in use. Confirm that all cable connections are clean and tight and that no creeping corrosion has started up the cables. I'm assuming 10 year old cables here.

As I said chasing ghosts when there are none will drive us crazy when the root of our problems are often very basic.
When I bought the new batteries they supplied new cables. No visible corrosion, everything is tight and secure, and water levels are on the money. I can test each battery individually tonight. Do I disconnect all the cables or can I leave them on? Safe to assume I unplug it but do I wait 12 hrs (ie tomorrow) before checking them? I wish it were something simple.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:53 PM   #10
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

I've got an upcoming date with the beach at the end of June. I would love to have this hammered out by then. I don't want to have to worry about being stranded.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car