lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
saunteret
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Driven clutch dust cover - necessary?

So I finally replaced my drive clutch, installed new belts, fixed my motor mounts, fixed an exhaust leak and totally rebuilt my electrical system on my 1986 EZGO.

I take it for a 4 mile spin to for a test drive yesterday, and my driven clutch dust cover totally disintegrated all over the road.... I was going about 22 miles per hour according to my GPS.

Question, do I really need the dust cover? If I have any more downtime on this cart, my family is going to shoot me.

We use it on the farm with lots of dust and tall grass/weeds, and the governor has been completely removed if that makes any difference.

--Chris
saunteret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: Driven clutch dust cover - necessary?

Chris welcome to BGW You can use it as is but I would recommend ordering the cover because of the dust & weeds but it won't hurt anything for the short term until it arrives. They are around and not expensive.

Lou
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Wanna know WHY it disintegrated (or at least a good guess based on personal experience?) - Your motor mounts are likely shot, which allows the engine cradle to pull into the driven clutch under load. This in turn causes the clutch cover to rub against the engine, causing failure in short order as it's a plastic piece. Running without the cover is a very bad idea as it will allow all kinds of poop to get into your clutch, however replacing it and not addressing the base issue will just lead to short-term failure of the new one (I know, I went through 3 on my Marathon before I figured it out, $40 worth of motor mounts and about an hour later and I've never had the trouble again) ...
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
saunteret
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks, Lou. There is a golf cart store right up the road from me, so I guess I'll pop in and pick one up. Plus, it's less than $20 so not big deal. I am assuming that I will just have to pull off the muffler to put the new one on?

BCM, thanks for the heads up. Over the past 3 weeks since getting this cart (my first one), I've gone from knowing nothing about them, to basically completely rebuilding it almost completely. (And thanks to BGW, I've learned a lot from you folks.) I did find the motor mounts were loose and boogered up, and have since replaced them and tightened them up. I'll have to monitor it to see if they rub on the new one, once I get it replaced.

You kinda bursted my bubble... I was hoping that my screaming 22 MPH blew the cover off due to the extreme centrifugal force. Haha.

--Chris
Old 05-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
racin161
Gone Wild

Oh by all means the speed was the problem.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
saunteret
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin161 View Post
Oh by all means the speed was the problem.

LOU
Ah, good. I feel much better now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO