lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2021, 03:08 PM   #1
sidewalkman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default HELP, not charging

Hi All, 2000.5+ CC DS. I've had to leave it unattended (plugged in) for 2 years because of the COVID border closures. I'm finally back and the cart won't charge. The charger doesn't switch on. I'm thinking it must be the fusable link or something. I don't think it's a charger issue, charger works on another cart.

Help!!!

BTW, I have a Precedent with the same issue! (different charger)
sidewalkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2021, 04:00 PM   #2
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: HELP, not charging

I'm betting that you don't have enough voltage to kick it on...The charger has to see about 30-35 volts from the whole pack before the charger will activate...Put a meter on the main positive and main negative battery terminals to determine pack voltage... Assuming that you have a Powerdrive charger, you can either bypass the relay in the charger or charge each 8v battery with a 12v charger..Just keep an eye on the voltage...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:12 PM   #3
sidewalkman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on View Post
I'm betting that you don't have enough voltage to kick it on...The charger has to see about 30-35 volts from the whole pack before the charger will activate...Put a meter on the main positive and main negative battery terminals to determine pack voltage... Assuming that you have a Powerdrive charger, you can either bypass the relay in the charger or charge each 8v battery with a 12v charger..Just keep an eye on the voltage...
So I can put a 12V on each 8V for an hour or so each and it'll give enough of a charge to the whole pack for the Powerdrive charger to kick on?
Old 11-29-2021, 05:20 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Check the water level in all of the batteries first.
Check each one with a voltmeter and see what the voltage is for each.
A 12v charger can work, but it may not do enough if the batteries are totally dead.

Usually it's easier to bypass the relay in the charger and force it to turn on so it can charge the pack all at the same time.
Check the battery water levels first! If any are dry, they're never going to be right again an you're better off replacing them.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:20 PM   #5
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalkman View Post
So I can put a 12V on each 8V for an hour or so each and it'll give enough of a charge to the whole pack for the Powerdrive charger to kick on?
Depending on the condition of the batteries and the current level of charge ( if any ) you can probably get by with 15 minutes on each battery, maybe 10. You really need a volt meter to read just where you are to begin.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:54 PM   #6
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Scroll down to my post in this thread to see how to bypass the relay in the charger..

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...61#post1856461
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 01:34 AM   #7
sidewalkman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on View Post
Scroll down to my post in this thread to see how to bypass the relay in the charger..

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...61#post1856461
How long should I run the charger in bypass before I worry about cooking the batteries
Old 11-30-2021, 02:42 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
How long should I run the charger in bypass before I worry about cooking the batteries
Put a meter on the main battery + and - terminals. Note your starting voltage. If it’s above about 40 volts or so, you’ve got something else going on you need to take care of. If it’s way low then watch the voltage. Once it gets up to about 45-48v then disconnect the charger from the wall and the cart. Put the relay back the way it should be and plug it all back in.

You only want to “cheat” to get the batteries charged just enough that the OBC will work and the charger can work like normal. Generally in my experiences it doesn’t usually take more than about 20 minutes for at least the surface charge in the batteries to trigger the charger to turn on.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 02:45 AM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Put a meter on the main battery + and - terminals. Note your starting voltage. If it’s above about 40 volts or so, you’ve got something else going on you need to take care of. If it’s way low then watch the voltage. Once it gets up to about 45-48v then disconnect the charger from the wall and the cart. Put the relay back the way it should be and plug it all back in.

You only want to “cheat” to get the batteries charged just enough that the OBC will work and the charger can work like normal. Generally in my experiences it doesn’t usually take more than about 20 minutes for at least the surface charge in the batteries to trigger the charger to turn on.

That said, if it’s sat for 2 years then the batteries are toast. Plan to replace them. I’ve done some activities to “bring back” really bad batteries to useable status, but they’re definitely not new. Sooner than later you’ll need to replace them. In which case, I’d really recommend lithium. They aren’t as prone to issues like this as lead acid batteries are.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:08 PM   #10
sidewalkman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So, ran the charger in bypass mode, came on and charged but only showed at 3-4 AMPs charging. I guess that means the batteries are indeed toast.

On my presedent I tried the bypass on that charger too. Nothing, didn't click on or anything. What do you guys think that issue is??
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car