lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
firecart1
Getting Wild

Default 89 EZGO dying after 1.5miles

Hey guys...Help is needed!! I have an 89 EZGO and I'm having the damnest time figuring out why it's stalling and dying on me. After about 1.5 miles the throttle response gets mushy and you can just tell it's about ready to die. Give it another 1/2 mile and you will be dead on the road....Maybe 5 minutes...Maybe longer!! Timing is DEAD ON and I have done the HEI conversion for the ignition and I have a good thick heat sink plate of aluminum for the module. It just seems like its ignition related....but everything is sooo new. Compression is good @ 180psi....(got bored and shaved down the head last year!!) Runs like a raped Banshee.....till this happened. Any and all help is welcomed!!
firecart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 EZGO dying after 1.5miles

Sounds more like a fuel starvation to me. If it was ignition, it would just die outright, no " mushy feeling " first. Ok, check your fuel cap vent and make sure it breathes. Check your fuel filter. Lastly, check the in tank pickup for any debris. I think you'll find your problem with these 3 items!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
firecart1
Getting Wild

Does the in tank pickup tube come out...If so.... How?!? Also forgot to mention that it will still crank but just not start after all of this comes about. And I suspected fuel starvation earlier and when it died/tried to die I tried to use the choke with no luck. It didn't change a thing. I'll go out here later and take a peek at the fuel pickup and filters (new last fall and not driven over the winter). Thanks again for the sppedy response!!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
firecart1
Getting Wild

Also, do the pulsar coils ever go bad? This is the only "Stock" item in my ignition sequence. I figured as hard as it is to get to...that this would proabably be the problem....Just my luck. Just wondering.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I agree with Simple Man and offer one more possibility (because this happened to me). Out of the top of the carburetor bowl is a plastic pipe which is the breather for the bowl. If this becomes partially blocked then a vacuum will form in the bowl and prevent fuel flow. When you stall out the vacuum will slowly leak away and once again the engine will run. Pull that pipe off the nipple and check both it and the nipple.

Good luck

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
firecart1
Getting Wild

Well, I pulled the tank and drained the gas, power-washed the tank inside and out (not muck for debris in tank), dried and re-fueled, made sure the tank vent was working (before and after cleaning), doesn't appear that there is any sediment hanging around the fuel filters, so I'm assuming at least up to the diaphragm pump.....I should be good. Drove it 2 miles (kids are home and mom isn't!!) without a hiccup.....normally when it does stall it is a little warmer (makes me believe it is more fuel related with that scenario!!). I will drive it till it dies (HOPE NOT!!) tonight. I did Ohm the pulsar coil warm @ 167.8Ohm which sounds like it's in spec (125-200 hot). Dave, I will check the breather tube above the bowl.

It's really the small things that make ya wanna drink!!!

Thanks guys!!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Good News! I hope that's all it was! I'm in the process of working on my weedeater, in which the gas we have now, has managed to turn my fuel line and it's mounting to mush! I just hope I don't need a carb kit, cause it's a " Redmax ", which parts are no longer available for!
We finally got a station that sells no alcohol gas! Only problem is it costs more than premium! Why the hell does it cost more not to put something in?
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
firecart1
Getting Wild

Just returned from a 5 mile "test drive" with the same gas.... No spits....No sputters....No Problems!! Sure wish I knew what the heck I did to fix it!!?!? Thanks to all for your timely responses in my hour of desparation!!

I still wanna believe it was the ignition system......Fooled the old guy again!!

Thanks guys!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO