lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2021, 11:01 AM   #1
cnaught
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Lithium (Allied) Installation Question

I was told for the Allied installation, that I should add an additional toggle switch to completely shut off all power when not in use it so that the BMS system in the Allied batteries will balance the cells properly.

They said that the Allied battery BMS system only balances when there is no draw from them, and that if there is even a minor draw (from let's say a 48v to 12v converter), that it would cause the batteries to eventually become unbalanced.

Does the Run/Tow switch shutoff all power and remove any draw from the batteries when off? The lights/turn signal/horn, and battery guage don't work on my cart when the Tun/Tow is off. So I'm guessing that any converter that may be installed (if any) is also turned off when the Run/Tow is off?
cnaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2021, 12:12 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Lithium (Allied) Installation Question

You need to check how your converter is wired. Mine (Yamaha cart but aftermarket) is directly connected to the main battery with a "trigger" signal that goes to the ignition switch to activate it. So technically it's always connected to the pack but I doubt that it draws much current in that state.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:56 PM   #3
cnaught
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
You need to check how your converter is wired. Mine (Yamaha cart but aftermarket) is directly connected to the main battery with a "trigger" signal that goes to the ignition switch to activate it. So technically it's always connected to the pack but I doubt that it draws much current in that state.
Honestly, I don't know if I have a converter. The head lights, turn signals, and horn are the stock club car lights, the license plate light was added later. Is it possible that the Club Car lights, turns signals, horn, and license plate light, are hooked up without the use of a converter? Does a Club Car Precedent (201 that comes with the light package come with a converter, or do the lights all run off 48v?
Old 07-27-2021, 01:21 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I'm sure that the lights do not run off of 48V but sometimes they run off of only one or two of your batteries. You need to figure that out.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:02 PM   #5
cnaught
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Does anyone know if the run/tow switch can be used to shut off all draw from the batteries? And if so, what about if I add a 48v-12v converter, could that also be shutoff from the tow switch so that it doesn't have any draw from the batteries.

Like I said, I heard that with the allied batteries, even a small amount of draw while the cart is resting can prevent their BMS from balancing the batteries correctly, as they balance properly when there is absolutely no draw from them.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:13 AM   #6
dc.901
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaught View Post
Does anyone know if the run/tow switch can be used to shut off all draw from the batteries? And if so, what about if I add a 48v-12v converter, could that also be shutoff from the tow switch so that it doesn't have any draw from the batteries.

Like I said, I heard that with the allied batteries, even a small amount of draw while the cart is resting can prevent their BMS from balancing the batteries correctly, as they balance properly when there is absolutely no draw from them.
With the switch in "tow", the meter on my cart reads 0.09 amps, so it is not zero.
This is on 03 club car DS.
Note: I did not wire the meter with ignition key because it goes to "sleep" if no current draw is detected. So, most likely the 0.09 amps was from when I hit the button for it to wake up.
Not sure if that helps?
dc.901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:06 PM   #7
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I heard that with the allied batteries, even a small amount of draw while the cart is resting can prevent their BMS from balancing
Where did you hear that? Maybe an old wife's tale. Or in this case a new wife's tale.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:45 PM   #8
cnaught
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
Where did you hear that? Maybe an old wife's tale. Or in this case a new wife's tale.
I heard it from one of the top Allied Resellers, who suggested that I install an extra "kill switch" to kill all draw from the batteries, in particular the converter, which even when off will have a small draw. I also asked Allied Battery directly about whether or not the BMS would rebalance the cells properly if there was minimum draw (let's say from a converter) and their response was: "it is a good idea to install a switch so that there is no draw on the batteries." They also said "if you draw from 1 battery more than the other 2 that one will discharge faster then the others so a shut off would be smart to use"

I'm guessing with single pack Lithium products, it may not be an issue, but maybe only for the drop in "multi-pack" lithium batteries like Allied.

My question is, whether or not the Run/Tow switch can be used to eliminate all draw from the batteries, or if I need to install an extra switch. Currently, if I turn the Run/Tow to "tow", everything shuts down, but I don't have a voltage meter to determine if there is draw on the batteries.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:24 PM   #9
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
what about if I add a 48v-12v converter, could that also be shutoff from the tow switch so that it doesn't have any draw from the batteries.
That sounds like it would work. Get you a heavier duty switch than the one that is in there now to power the 48-12v supply.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:29 PM   #10
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

Re: switch

News to me
PearlPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car