lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #11
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 48-Volt Battery Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
I ordered two just now, one for my cart and the other for my boat, figured they both sit up when I'm not there and If it extends the life out of them then it will be worth the cost. We'll see how it goes.
You won't be sorry
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2014, 05:37 PM   #12
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Good to hear thanks!
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:17 PM   #13
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

The battery maintainer has been a good choice for me too. My new batteries were almost exclusively charged with the Battery Minder this year for golf - I think I only used the Powerdrive Charger maybe 3 or 4 times this year when I stayed at the clubhouse way too late drinking adult beverages.

On normal weekends my Battery Minder was able to overnite charge (12-14 hrs) my *new* batteries in time for the next round.

Keep in mind these are new batteries, but water use has been tiny. I started checking levels only every 2 months, because topping the batteries only used about 1 1/2 cups of water per month! Keep in mind, these are new. Older batteries would take much longer to charge and would likely use more water.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:21 PM   #14
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

You should continue to charge with the power drive as the batteries are designed for this type of charge, I would only use this after the initial charge.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #15
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

I don't think others should try what I'm doing - because I'm experimenting, just as you said.

But I'm comfortable being the guinea pig and am willing to roll the dice on this one - just to see what happens. Plus, my OBC / Charger is Gen-1 ('96) and is far less sophisticated than later models.

I have been measuring things with two different DVM's. After battery break-in and to date, my 12hr rested voltage is 51.1v (supposedly that's over 100% capacity - and individual battery voltages have been within .01v).

But clearly, I don't drive far....one round of golf only.....so I'm not a useful example for guys that demand more of their carts!
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #16
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
You should continue to charge with the power drive as the batteries are designed for this type of charge, I would only use this after the initial charge.
I have to respectfully disagree. I have used and tested the Save-A-Battery units on 2 of my carts now. On my EZGO with 8 6volt batteries, it was used almost exclusively for 2 years without a problem. These were new batteries. I was concerned about not using the "big" charger so I called Granite Digital (the makers of this unit) with my concerns. I was able to have a 30 minute conversation with their chief engineer. I told him I was concerned about not using the regular charger, the batteries not gassing and leaving the acid stratified, and also equalization charging. He explained how the technology of pulse charging and his multistage unit works. He explained how the unit does indeed, from time to time, do an equalization charge. Also, in maintenance mode after full charge is achieved, the unit periodically sends pulse charges into the batteries to help breakup sulfation on the plates and to destratisfy the acid without heavy gassing. I was skeptical but have witnessed my DVM going from the normal after charge voltage of 54.4 to 58.6 for some time and then return to 54.4. The engineer explained that not only was it ok to charge our type batteries with his unit but it was highly recommended to leave it on the pack as long and often as possible to strengthen older batteries (my G29 pack is 2 years old) and extend the life of the pack. 2 years of experience with the EZGO and the past 4 months of increased pack strength in the G29 has proven to me that Granite Digital is telling me the truth. This unit can be used as a primary charger (if you are not in a big hurry to charge up---if you are, use your other charger) without harm and it is good for your batteries to leave it connected as long and often as possible.

And no---I am not on the payroll of Granite Digital. Just a very satisfied customer. I do not EVER recommend something to the forum that I have not researched to the best of my ability and have not tested completely.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #17
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well that is good because I have two on the way LOL.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:48 PM   #18
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

By the way scooterman---I was raised in Lake Charles. After I left home, my Dad moved to Lafayette.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #19
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Some god people in south Louisiana )
:)
Old 11-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #20
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Last Saturday after riding around I used the regular charger and the next morning after the rest pack voltage was 52.4v
I then put the battery maintainer on before I left. When I go back in a few weeks I'll see what voltage it is at. Take note, this is a 4 battery setup, I topped off water before the initial use and charge.
Eventually when these batteries are finished I'll buy 6 8v batteries instead, this cart has the trays that will fit either. Then I get to do it all over again LOL
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car