lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
rheller219
Not Yet Wild

Default G16 Hesitation

Just picked up another G16. body in great shape but everything else was neglected. So, removed carb and completely cleaned it...twice now. My issue is the motor totally bogs out when mashing the gas and eventually catches up. If I ease into it, it is just fine. Not sure if its flooding out or not getting enough fuel...I havent adjusted valves yet, would this be something caused by valves out of adjustment? top speed is great and if I ease into throttle, it runs like a dream. Its just if I hammer on it from a dead stop.
rheller219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 Hesitation

There is a brass "jet looking thing" on top of carb (outside- no disassembly required). It does not flow to "the outside world", but must be clean. It plays a big role in part-throttle operation.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:44 PM   #3
rheller
Not Yet Wild

I am pretty certain the jets and the carb is clean. I cleaned it first, then had the shop do some kind of ultrasonic cleaning.
rheller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:01 PM   #4
jeff70
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I would start with the basics, tune up, and valve adjust
jeff70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
rheller219
Not Yet Wild

I put a new plug in right away...fuel filter and air filter are both new. This is my 3rd g16, but first to have any issue like this. Only thing I havent done is adjust valves. I just wasnt sure if this was a condition caused by valves. Once it gets moving, mid 20's for top speed. It cant be nothing to serious...just having a heck of a time figuring out what could be causing it. thanks for all the ideas...keep them rolling
Old 11-20-2014, 10:11 PM   #6
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheller219 View Post
I put a new plug in right away...fuel filter and air filter are both new. This is my 3rd g16, but first to have any issue like this. Only thing I havent done is adjust valves. I just wasnt sure if this was a condition caused by valves. Once it gets moving, mid 20's for top speed. It cant be nothing to serious...just having a heck of a time figuring out what could be causing it. thanks for all the ideas...keep them rolling
It sure sounds like a lean fuel condition. Make sure your carb gaskets are not leaking and that the airbox is sealing tightly. If all that is ok, then I'd give that carb another once over. Make sure the float level isn't too low and all jets, passages and orifices are clean.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Since you have 3 G16s , why not swap a carb off another working one to determine for sure if it is your carb.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #8
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Another thing to look at would be your clutches. Make sure the primary clutch is fully open (min. dia.) and the secondary clutch is fully closed (max. dia.) at min throttle. Then make sure they aren't shifting into a higher gear too soon (a weak secondary spring could cause this). If not correct, it would be like starting out in high gear. Just a thought. Good luck - RAY

Last edited by bigstik40; 11-22-2014 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: spelling
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:29 AM   #9
rheller219
Not Yet Wild

Just got back to looking at the cart since it was stored for winter. Clutches are brand new plowmans as well as the belt. Carb was removed again and cleaned for the 3rd time, once professionally. Looked brand new. If you ease into the throttle it goes great and tops out well into the 30's for mph. I have plowmans power kit with the airbox mods on it. going back to original jets doesnt change things at all which is a bit odd. Might be time to call Don and see what he says. I cant tell if its flooding out or running out of fuel because the float isnt set right...but is the float even adjustable?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha