lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2015, 04:42 PM   #1
sumpnfishy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Starter smokes in reverse

I'm still trying to nail down the type of cart but seems to be a early '80s marathon with a 244cc 2PG 2-cycle engine. (all tags are missing or unreadable). With neighbors help who has a little experience with golf carts we quickly noted with the FnR switch in reverse you tap on the pedal and smoke curls out of the starter. Works fine going forward. I have already replaced the FnR switch, the old one had very burnt contacts on one side, apparently the reverse.

1. So my first question, has anyone had luck just replacing the brushes? Seems to be a cheaper option than completely new starter.
But then if the windings have smoked maybe I'm better off replacing.

2. Is there a preferred type/brand of starter to use? I'm seeing prices all over the place and don't want to be cheap only to find out the new one only lasts a year.

Thanks for any input.
Dennis
sumpnfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2015, 11:39 PM   #2
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: Starter smokes in reverse

You may get by with brushes I've replaced the whole brush plate assy with good results. You may find a loose or burnt brush wire or weak spring.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:21 PM   #3
sumpnfishy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Took it off and finally was able to clean the tag, it's a Hitachi GSB107-03. Took off the end and found a broke wire but the brushes look OK. Not sure if I want try to rebuild or just buy a new one. It's obviously gotten very hot inside.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
sumpnfishy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I just got a new starter / gen and wanted to go thru the wiring to make sure everything was right. One thing I found was that on the new starter / gen F1 & F2 were on the reverse sides. No big deal as wires reached just fine. Then double checking the few wiring diagrams I found some inconsistencies that worry me.
A couple show that the bottom connection on the FnR switch is the ground but if you look at the photo (below) I took before taking everything apart that's not the way it was wired. The reverse would not work but previous owner said it used to. He didn't say anything about changing the wiring but I'm just not sure it was right when I got it. Before I fry the new starter / gen can anyone confirm that it's currently wired wrong? I'm thinking that is why the old one might smoked. (it also seems to have fried a fairly new battery).

Old 07-18-2015, 02:37 PM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Mine is an 87, and the battery is on the opposite side.

I just went out, cut my zip-ties, and traced each wire.

Positive from the battery goes to the solenoid, and then to F2 on the starter.

Top of the switch goes to F1 on the starter.

Bottom of the switch goes directly to ground. (Frame, and battery)

This is where it gets tricky. Looking from the rear, the right side (passenger side) of the switch goes to A1.

The left side goes to A2.

Looking at the wiring diagram in the HEI thread, that is opposite of mine unless the drawing is being viewed from the front. I do not know.

I do know that mine works as advertised, and I have never had trouble burning anything up.

My forward, and reverse work in the directions that they are supposed to.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:48 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

This manual is for an 85. My 87 is wired according to this.

The diagram on page L-2 is viewed from the rear. The bottom still goes to ground, and the RH goes to A1.

In this diagram they are A at the top and go clockwise from the rear.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
Old 07-18-2015, 03:11 PM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I noticed that you have a fuel door in the back, and your gas tank is most likely behind the engine.

Besides being a really humorous thread, this guy also has a fuel door on his 81. I have no idea how many years that lasted. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...-ezgo-gas.html
Old 07-18-2015, 08:57 PM   #8
sumpnfishy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
I noticed that you have a fuel door in the back, and your gas tank is most likely behind the engine.

Besides being a really humorous thread, this guy also has a fuel door on his 81. I have no idea how many years that lasted. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...-ezgo-gas.html
Yes, unlike others I've seen here the fuel tank is behind the seat. I'm stuck with an unidentifiable model so I have to do my best guessing not knowing of any major 'modifications' previous owners have done. The diagram in the manual you posted does seem to match what I've found in the current wiring except the FnB so at this point I'm going to have to assume it was wired wrong. I'll post back once I hook everything up and let everyone know if it 'smokes' again...
Old 07-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #9
sumpnfishy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Put new starter / generator on, went through the wiring and corrected 2 things and it runs like a champ.
Even seems to run better in reverse so next on the list is a new drive belt.

From what I can tell the miswiring is what killed the old starter and battery, but that was done before I got the cart.

Now need to address a few cosmetic issues (the seat is falling apart). I'm hooked now....
Old 07-19-2015, 06:28 PM   #10
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Hooked and better educated about the innards of your beast! Congrats.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO