lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2016, 07:39 AM   #1
dannytsaturday
Getting Wild

Default Broken rod? Full Rebuild?

I just bought this 2000 model ezgo a couple days ago. I couldn't get it to run except fully choked until after doing that for about 10 minutes, once it got hot it would start on its own. I took the carb off and cleaned it, though I didn't clean the gas tank. I now have a ending knocking noise that started very quiet and gradually got louder all within about 10 seconds. Here's a video of exactly what it sounds like. Does it sound like a connector rod? Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5pYWoDxmuY
dannytsaturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2016, 09:33 AM   #2
SRDCOMPOSITES
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Broken rod? Full Rebuild?

pull both spark plugs and look down them see if both pistons are moving sounds like it is valve touching top of piston, I just had a rod broken aswell low oil it sounded louder
SRDCOMPOSITES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
TomStark
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Are these pressure fed oil? The noise is hard to dx over the net, but NOT a "broken" rod, could be extra "clearance" in the rod. I assume that these do NOT use bearing inserts. On a motor with bearing inserts sometimes the bearing will piggy back and that will push the rod up a little higher. A valve hitting a piston could be a possibility. Do a compression test, if the rod has the bearing torn up, the piston will not be coming up as high and it should have lower compression. Also I think these use a timing belt, check your valve timing. One thing is for sure, there is an issue and you need to not run it till you find what it is. Personally I would pull the motor and stick it on the bench and go over all the mechanics to see what it is. Should be obvious!
Tom
TomStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:13 PM   #4
dannytsaturday
Getting Wild

Ok thanks a lot guys, I'm going to pull it tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:07 PM   #5
dannytsaturday
Getting Wild

I pulled the motor out yesterday. I can turn it over by hand pretty easy, is this normal or really low compression? My oil level was at the top of the add line I assumed that was enough. I can hear a little clanking noise when I turn it over by hand. How easy is it to replace just the rods?
Old 05-04-2016, 04:07 PM   #6
TomStark
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannytsaturday View Post
I pulled the motor out yesterday. I can turn it over by hand pretty easy, is this normal or really low compression? My oil level was at the top of the add line I assumed that was enough. I can hear a little clanking noise when I turn it over by hand. How easy is it to replace just the rods?
If the plugs are in and it is easy to turn over by hand, yeah that is very low compression. I would question valve timing. If a rod is toasted, there is no just replacing that rod. You would need to grind the crank too.
Tom
Old 05-05-2016, 12:11 PM   #7
dannytsaturday
Getting Wild

Thanks, I'll check the valve lash when I get home tonight. If that's fine I'll just get a new engine and be done with it. Not worth it to me to spend $400 on a rebuild kit when I can get one ready to drop in for $665.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:20 PM   #8
TomStark
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannytsaturday View Post
Thanks, I'll check the valve lash when I get home tonight. If that's fine I'll just get a new engine and be done with it. Not worth it to me to spend $400 on a rebuild kit when I can get one ready to drop in for $665.
Doesn't that motor use a timing belt? I am talking about valve timing not lash. If it uses a belt, the timing could be off with valves opening and closing st the wrong time. And if that is the case, and you lashed them, they will be way loose.
Tom

RIT rocks, cancer sucks. sent from my S5 by tap a talk
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO