lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2016, 09:39 PM   #11
my1423
Gone Wild

Default Re: 99 ezgo HELP!!! No power

Ok loads of issues and with many new parts we need to track down them one at a time.

Compression.
Not great to have a large difference between cylinders.
Should be within 10lbs of each other but should still run and get around with that much compression.
I have seen much worse still running.
Oil burning is usually bad rings with slight oil use being bad valve seals. If you have oil on the plugs and it smokes white/ blue and smells like oil.
You can still run them if they have enough compression and keep oil in it. It will foul plugs and quit.
I dont think that is the issue from what you have described but it could be you are fouling the new plugs so fast its dying.

Post a picture or video of the plugs and the smoke.

Smoking is caused by one or more of 3 issues.
1. Too much fuel. Ie stuck carb float, fuel pump dumping fuel, bad carb adjustment or issue with the carb.
2. Burning oil. Rings, valves, head gasket, too much oil dumping into intake from the breather.
3. incomplete combustion ie dead hole pumping un burnt fuel into exhaust. fouled plug. ignition issue.

Valve clearance can cause low compression if your set tight and its holding then valve open. Make sure they have clearance with the lobe opposite the rocker/ follower.

Still think you may be dumping raw fuel into it and loading up.

DID YOU put in new gas after draining the old?
Did you check the pulse tube from the pump to manifold for gas?

Pull the air cleaner off from the carb. Is fuel dumping out of the carb when it starts to bog down?
my1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2016, 11:57 AM   #12
kenny_kiper
Not Yet Wild

Ok I took the carb off and everything looked good. It is a new carb from ebay. Not sure what you meant by carb adjustments. The only adjustment I see is the one on top that has the black plastic piece to keep you from turning it too much. I screwed that all the way in and then backed out 1-1/2 turns. Cart is running pretty good now that I've put the carb back on, but I don't have the air box or filter back on yet.
The only issue now is you can't just floor the gas pedal it will just bog down and spit and sputter and it will sprinkle gas out and sometimes shoot a small flame, but if you ease into the pedal and get it going it runs fine and will rev up good without any hesitation. It's just the initial hesitation when hammering down on gas.
For example if I just push the pedal all the way down it will not run it just bogs down.. Not sure if having the box and filter off would cause this.

I think you were right about loading up not sure what was causing it

Also another problem I've noticed not related to the above: the clutch in the back on the diff seems to have a wobble like its warped. I took it off and spun the wheels and the shaft coming out of diff doesn't look like it's wobbling. Can the clutch itself be warped? Have you ever seen this?
Thanks again.
kenny_kiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:15 PM   #13
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny_kiper View Post
Also when I adjust the valves, I read a thread that says to gauge them under the cam lobes. When I set them at .004 under the cam lobes I check the rocker arms/ valves and it gauges more than 004 I can fit like a .005 .006 under it. I do know the valves and valve springs are really easy to push down. I'm not sure if this is common I've never worked on these engines before?
With the lobe pointing away from the rocker the adjuster should kiss the lobe and back out 1/4 turn. Do that for each one and you'll be right at. 004. Double check the fuel pump pulse line to make sure it is dry. The valve springs are not that strong so yes you can easily push them.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:17 PM   #14
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Go to the tech section of this site and get the engine service guide and the technicians service guide. They will walk you through the trouble shooting process.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:40 PM   #15
kenny_kiper
Not Yet Wild

Ok so I put the air box and filter back on and now it back to losing power. What would cause this.
Now that I think about it when I first bought the new carb I put it on without the box just to see if it was going to run ok and I drove it up and down the driveway and it was fine then when I put the box and filter back on that is when it started losing power. Now today when I took carb off to check I put carb back on without air box and filter and it ran fine except for the initial hesitation that I stated in my last post. Now I just got finished putting box and filter back on and it's back to running weak and continues to lose power. I don't know if the box is making it load up or what? Any help please.
Thanks
Old 05-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #16
kenny_kiper
Not Yet Wild

I'll check them manuals out thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO