lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2017, 10:54 AM   #1
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Need source for G1 Transmission Gasket/seals

Hey guys, haven't posted for a while, but developed a small leak in my G1 transmission. Since I am really smart decided to just torque those nuts down on the studs. Whoops, snapped one off.

So now I have the transmission out again, and need a good source for the gaskets/seals, and does anyone know if I can buy the studs anywhere? Several are "necked" down and will probably snap when I try to put the case back together.

TIA,
Ogre
OgreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2017, 11:56 AM   #2
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: Need source for G1 Transmission Gasket/seals

Here is a source of part numbers so you can find what number seals you need. http://www.tntgolfcar.com/yamaha-par..._442_1008.html

As far as a center gasket - I don't believe there is one. I used Yamaha Bond 4 case sealer.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:33 PM   #3
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You're probably right Shepard. When I did this three years ago (http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...ferential.html), I found the gasket at one of the BGW sponsors, but I can't remember which one. Anyway I tried most of them and no sign of the case gasket.

It was obviously "toast" when I took the case apart this time. I must have gotten the last case gasket known to mankind. Boy do I feel bad . I feel like I just killed the last of a endangered species. Hope y'all won't hold it against me.

I've got some Yamabond 4 on the way, so I'll do the best I can ... I'm working to get the broken stud out, and will try to modify a long bolt to put in its place.

Ogre
Old 09-01-2017, 08:55 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I think I would cut a gasket from some gasket paper. The thickness of the gasket is probably gonna be important for bearing spacing. Too much clearence is way better than too little.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:12 PM   #5
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I think I would cut a gasket from some gasket paper. The thickness of the gasket is probably gonna be important for bearing spacing. Too much clearence is way better than too little.
Thanks cgtech. I was thinking the same thing, so got some gasket paper this morn and made my "rough" cut out for a gasket. I'll get a sharp razor and finish it, then use the Yamabond 4 recommended by Shepard.

Still having trouble getting the stud out ... thought I might take my propane bottle and warm up the case to see if the stud will come loose.

Ogre
Old 09-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #6
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Just a suggestion but a drill bit easy out and your heat might get it out
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:44 PM   #7
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks Spicy. The top of the stud is kinda jagged where it broke off. I could probably grind it flat and try to drill it out, but so far I have been trying PB Blaster, Liquid wrench, etc. etc. , and trying to turn it with vise grips.

The vise grips keep slipping, so thought I would try to use them again after I heat the case a little. If I can't get it to unscrew after that, I will grind the top flat, and give the drill bit method a try.

Interestingly, one of the other studs got the outer threads boogered a little, and the nut froze, so the stud just easily screwed out. Who would thunk it was that easy? Wish I had more threads on the broken stud.

Ogre
Old 09-02-2017, 06:20 PM   #8
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Keep soaking it if you have enough stud showing try taking die grinder and get a flat spot on top and bottom might give your vice grips a better bight just be careful with the heat don't want to turn a small problem into a large one
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:17 PM   #9
nota
Gone Wild
Yamaha

weld a nut on the broken stud

welding heat will help loosen it
and nut gives a good grip
nota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:18 AM   #10
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Perfect suggestion nota. That was one of my early thoughts, and I would recommend it to anyone dealing with this type of stud, whether G1 Trans or anything else.

I noticed my mig was stuffed behind "crap" I kept putting in that corner of my garage for the last two years, and I didn't feel like moving everything for a quick two tack operation. (A few surgeries have slowed me down, so I just kept throwing stuff in that corner to get it out of my way.)

BTW, by just gradually warming the outside of the case, and smacking the stud with my sfh (as opposed to my BFH), it popped loose and was easily removed with vise grips.

Next step, see how good I am at using bolts to create a couple of studs.

Thanks for the suggestions guys,
Ogre
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha