lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2018, 12:09 PM   #1
ywnmn
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G2 Rocker Shaft Support Arm

My father in law had his J38 motor rebuilt by a reputable company. It ran ok but started blowing smoke after a month or so. He sent it back. After they supposedly fixed it, it blew smoke again after a month or so. He sent it to me to look at and immediately I found the rocker shaft support arm had a lot of play, where the shaft goes through it.
Would the excessive play in the shaft make the motor smoke?
I believe it was on the exhaust side.
Also, the sleeve wasn't installed properly, you could pull it right out of the cylinder with no effort at all.
Hope this post is ok and doesn't go against the guidelines.
TIA....
ywnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #2
cartpartsplusman
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Yamaha G2 Rocker Shaft Support Arm

If your talking the pivot hole in the arm it sould be more to the tight side. The rocker moves on the shaft but you cannt get the valves adjusted right in there is to much play.dont see why it would smoke but most people over fill the oil on g 2/9 and they dont like it. 1 quart from empty and remark the stick if lifted.
cartpartsplusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:36 PM   #3
Airboat01
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartpartsplusman View Post
If your talking the pivot hole in the arm it sould be more to the tight side. The rocker moves on the shaft but you cannt get the valves adjusted right in there is to much play.dont see why it would smoke but most people over fill the oil on g 2/9 and they dont like it. 1 quart from empty and remark the stick if lifted.
Rebuilt mind several times seems like the oil ring always sticks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Airboat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:14 AM   #4
ywnmn
Not Yet Wild

Been a year and it's smoking to beat hell again.
I pulled the head, exhaust valve was sticking open .008" from carbon build up. Cleaned it up, I think I'll install a valve guide seal just in case ( they don't call for it in manual).
I guess oil rings should be replaced too. the piston is clean, no carbon at all.
He said it runs great but smokes terribly. He installed a new carb he bought online and theres no air box, he's running a K&N filter with the spray oil. I did find that the timing marks weren't aligned, I guess i messed that up. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thank you
ywnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:40 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The way don plowman explained it to me before, and what your describing is very very common to rebuilt Yamaha motors. the cylinder needs to be bored and honed very, very fine grit or it eats the chrome off the rings and leaves you with a smoking engine after a few months to a year (depending on how much the cart is used).

If you dont want to do a clone swap I would see if he is still able to rebuild these engines. If it needs to be bored hes where I would send mine.
.your only other option is Vegas carts
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha