lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2018, 04:05 AM   #1
nzdrew
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default has Yamaha G2 Bogging dowm

I have had to remove the air inlet pipe (the square one the runs across the the starter/generator) and partially tape up the hole to the air box to make the cart run correctly. Without that, it starts and bogs - so no acceleration. While it's running fine with the tape on, I don't feel good about my cart needing tape to run! The airbox is new, and seals correctly - as are the air filters. Any ideas? Or should I stop being a purist and let sleeping dogs lie...
nzdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2018, 07:41 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: has Yamaha G2 Bogging dowm

If you have to choke it off, then generally that either means the airbox lid is not 100% sealed or you've got a carburetor problem. Is the carb the OEM carb or a $20 Chinese one? If it the OEM carb, give it a good cleaning. If it's a chinese one then get an OEM mikuni or it will probably never run right...
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:42 PM   #3
nzdrew
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for for that. The problem has gotten worse - the cart started bogging down, then stopped and now it won't run at all. I opened up the airbox - it's a new one. There was a rag around the air filter, soaked with oil and the filter itself is soaked. Any suggestions? Cheers, Drew
Old 11-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Usually the air box will fill with oil from the breather hose if it is overfilled with oil. 1 quart exactly is what it needs, no more.

That wont however, cause it to not run. Do you have spark? Is it an OEM carb or a cheap knockoff? Search around the forum, you'll see how many people have had nothing but problems with their cart. Then they install an OEM carb and magically everythjng is fixed.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:56 PM   #5
nzdrew
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Hmmmm. I don't know about the carb, the cart has had plenty of enthusiastic amateurs work on it over the years, so possible that the carb has been changed. How would I tell? Cheers, Drew
Old 11-11-2018, 06:10 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

It should say mikuni on the side of it.

If it says anything BUT mikuni then it's not an OEM carb and your best bet would be to find an OEM mikuni
Old 11-11-2018, 07:29 PM   #7
nzdrew
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Awesome - thanks.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:41 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I do have a spare mikuni if you only have an aftermarket. I haven't tested it but cleaned it in an ultrasonic cleaner so it should be good to go, but I'd recommend a new gasket for the carb bowl. I have no idea if this gasket is any good or not, I've never used this carb.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:59 PM   #9
nzdrew
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

That's a very kind offer, but given I live in New Zealand somewhat logistically challenging! BuggiesUnlimited say they have a genuine one that is rebuilt for $42 Would that be a better proposition than risking a failure in a Chinese one? Cheers,
Old 11-14-2018, 06:33 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

New G2 carburetor from Yamaha retail price is $314.99, so we can safely assume it's not genuine Yamaha/mikuni. I work at a Yamaha dealer, so I did see the wholesale/dealer cost, and I can tell you BU would be losing a huge amount of money selling a real one for $42. And I did look at the BU website, it doesn't say rebuilt anywhere and in the questions below the part listing, they won't say it's a "genuine Yamaha part" (because it isn't).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha