lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2019, 05:14 AM   #1
ranger danger
Not Yet Wild

Default Alter rather than remove governor on G1?

I would like to remove the governor on my G1 but my grandkids will be playing with it and.....well....you and I both know what would happen! I see a few threads about removing it all together but I'm not sure that would be wise in my case. I am wondering if there is a way to remake the governor plate to allow for full throttle without allowing for over revving?
ranger danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2019, 03:23 PM   #2
ranger danger
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Alter rather than remove governor on G1?

WOW!! Where did all my responses go?
Old 03-22-2019, 04:05 PM   #3
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

From Roady today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
Server went down this morning. Long story short we had to upload a backup from yesterday morning so we lost a day. Good news is it appears out database issues have been resolved finally. (knock on wood)

James and I have been talking about doing some major updates to the site. I hate to say "its coming" because I had planned on doing just that a year or so ago. I believe I have everything but 1 license to do the upgrades...now to find time. It'll happen one way or the other.

Ogre
OgreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:32 AM   #4
ranger danger
Not Yet Wild

Ok thanks.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:52 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You can put a longer screw in that adjusts speed, to raise it higher as it pushes the spring out more. Or you can use a mini size vice grip to clamp the spring opposite the screw to the bracket, that will defeat the governor all the way but only long as they are on there. Make sure they can not get stuck on the air hose as throttle moves. If you run it a lot fast that way there is more pressure on the throttle cable and it will reduce its life. Usually people just drill the hole out for the trans shaft so the lever moves free on it, but that is kind of permanent.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:18 PM   #6
ranger danger
Not Yet Wild

So... I went all the way and disconnected the throttle cable from the governor and rerouted it around the other side of the buggy. I remounted the cable clamp bracket to the air box and adjusted the cable so it has complete free travel (full stop in both directions). I left the flapper on the exhaust to move freely. I put the rear up on blocks and fired it up. Seemed to run Ok but I noticed that the governor shaft rotates as the motor revs up. Am I supposed to do something with that shaft? I took it for a ride without locking down the governor and it seemed to run kind of sluggish so I took a zip tie and strapped the governor all the way clockwise and went for another ride. Seamed to run a little worse so I tried zip tieing it all the way counter clockwise. No better. Now what?

Before doing all this, it ran pretty well but, after doing this it doesn't seem to be running as well and I don't notice any change in top speed.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:55 AM   #7
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

if the exhaust butterfly is not moving with the throttle then that is your issue. they either need to be in "sync" or the butterfly tied open or removed.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:59 AM   #8
ranger danger
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
if the exhaust butterfly is not moving with the throttle then that is your issue. they either need to be in "sync" or the butterfly tied open or removed.
Thank You Sir!! That was the problem. I wired it open and now she runs great.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:16 PM   #9
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

For some reason im thinking the G1 also has a centrifical style governor built into the differential. I was hoping cgtech would reply to this thread and get me straighten out

I believe Ive seen some on here remove it from the differential completely.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:22 AM   #10
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Sorry for the delay ranger. I have some other issue (medical) going on.

As mikeasis said it is a centrifical type governor. If you go to this thread (http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...ferential.html, post #11), there are pictures of what the governor shaft looks like.

Simply put, when the centrifical force of the higher RPMs sling the weights (four sets of two each) out (pic#2), force is applied to the differential to stop increasing speed (RPMs). The spring on the connector arm that you can adjust simply adds more pressure to force against the governor attempts to slow the rotation down. It's a simple mechanical device which is really pretty good considering the technology of the 80s.

Ogre
BTW, if you want to see all of the mistakes you can make, and all of the good advice from cgtech, Smallblock, slo, and others, just search for posts by OgreTX. LOL IOW, this is not a paid advertisement of my skills.
OgreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha