lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2019, 04:25 PM   #1
Lancer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G16 gas lurches in Fwd/Rev, when tires off ground ok

Hi

replaced left axle and wheel bearing (stripped threads) 3-4 months ago and has been running great. Now in Fwd or Rev the golf cart lurches and jumps. Seems like something very wrong in the transmission. Up on blocks wheels turn in forward or reverse with no resistance.

Looking for clues where to start? gear box? bearings?

Thanks
Lancer
Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2019, 04:51 PM   #2
Lancer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G16 gas lurches in Fwd/Rev, when tires off ground ok

before I replaced the left rear axle, the engine would run but wheels wouldn't move. That was an easy fix - striped threads

Now when engine tries to start, as it tries to turn over for first time, golf cart lurches so I guess engine is engaged with transmission. So maybe it is the clutch? how can I test and isolate the issue?

thanks
Old 04-08-2019, 04:56 PM   #3
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Pull the cover off of the primary and check for broken parts or flat spotted rollers, just to rule out that as a problem.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:35 PM   #4
Lancer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

drive clutch is stuck, guess it needs to be replaced.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:36 PM   #5
Lancer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Dave. That's what I will do.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:33 PM   #6
Lancer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

my journey plays out step by step. So pulled the clutch off (slide right off, almost fell off. so much for the puller tool). one of the flying wing nut magnet thingys (there are 3) was stuck on the outside of the cylinder. In this position, push up against the shell, I can see why the clutch was stuck closed unable to release. See pictures below of one of the 2 fly nuts in a good position tucked in (with clutch open), and the bad one on the outside (clutch open). I am thinking if I can get it back in like the other 2, maybe I don't need a new clutch? with the clutch closed, I am thinking I can pop it back under. There is a small margin of resistance.

thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wing weight good_LI.jpg (98.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg wing weight bad_LI.jpg (86.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-08-2019, 08:40 PM   #7
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Not sure what would cause that. Does anything look broken? Even if you do get it back in place, something caused that to happen, and it will probably happen again.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:25 AM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

No way! Your clutch is likely beyond repair. I have seen this too many times. A younger/newer clutch with bad rollers might be good for rebuild (new bushings, seals, rollers). But the original old clutches from that era I see now days have so much wear in the face area where the belt rides, and area where the fixed portion, and sliding portion meets, new "rebuild parts" quickly meet the same fate as the poor suckers they replaced. (Stuck fully engaged again, as you have now). I made my own "go, no-go" gauge to test a clutch before I consider its suitability for a rebuild. I rebuilt a few that came right back because the core parts just weren't any good for reuse. I don't have the link handy, but I have posted pics of what to look for on the inner edge of what is sure signs of "not gonna be rebuildable". Don Powman offers really top-notch stuff, and Gboost offers "stock replacement" clutches for good prices that have been good for me. One of those options will get you going, either way, you can't go wrong.

Post a close up pic of the area on the fixed & sliding portions, right at the middle where the center shaft is. Sometimes it's just that obvious if it's good or bad. (See other pics in threads about those clutches).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:14 PM   #9
Lancer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

well it worked, but I noticed the round cylinder at the top that holds the little flywing in has worn badly and has a chunk missing. that is how it popped out of the cylinder completely. A little tap with a hammer got it back in.

For now, the cart is running fine, but it will happen again and clearly that clutch needs to be replaced.

If you are interested, the picture attached shows the normal position of the flywing weight (yellow) when the clutch is open. It is folded down. When the clutch starts to close on the belt at speed, this little "finger" or weight extends, rolling against a cylinder (red) as it extends. This cylinder keeps it in place so that when it stops spinning, the clutch opens. on my clutch a small chunk missing on this cylinder, so if things line up just right that little flywing can come right out of place.

Thanks for all the help
Lance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flywing weight good.jpg (99.9 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha