lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2021, 01:20 PM   #1
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default I finally went with lithium... thanks to plowmans!

So after a long winter of reading, researching, and thinking about it... I finally pulled the trigger and got 2 of the Allied 48v 30aH packs from plowmans. His initial thoughts were that 2 would not be enough, but after hearing that I was happy with the range on the 4x12v current batteries he said this would blow that away and would probably be fine. But he had never tried a cart before with only 60aH so it would be interesting to see how it does. I can’t thank Don enough for the amazing customer service. He really went above and beyond

I’m putting as many details as I can for future searchers. Because I could find very little info on lithium on a basically stock cart.

I was undecided between a custom built pack or a drop in. Ultimately I went with the allied drop in because of time and warranty. Allied offers an 8 year warranty and I didn’t have to spend any time building a pack. Plus his shop is only about 15 minutes from my house so that’s a bonus too. All I had to do really was Drop it in and go. (Though I did build 2AWG cables, but they’re still in the glovebox waiting to be installed)

I’ve had 2 weekends of riding with it so far. My torque has increased dramatically (mostly due to higher voltage and less weight) and top speed increased 2-3mph as well. And range is great. Last weekend I logged ~18 miles and still had almost 50% charge remaining.

My cart is a 2008 DS with IQ system. Stock motor, controller, solenoid, and original stock cables still (for now)... I have a speed magnet from revolution, back seat and 205/50-10 tires that are slightly larger than stock. No lift or other modifications.

Most of the mileage logged so far has been with myself and 4 kids on the cart. Some hills but not extreme. Not Florida flat though either. Mix of pavement, dirt road, and grass.

Pre-lithium my batteries were 4x12v us battery. It would do 20-22mph flat pavement, and on some of the hills in my neighborhood it would drop to around 14mph on a fresh charge. Batteries were good, nothing wrong with them. After the swap the top speed in those same places is now 23-25mph and those same hills it holds a steady 20mph.

I will keep updating my tracking matrix, for my own OCD reasons. But the 60aH total pack capacity seems to be more than enough for me. I’m pretty thrilled with the upgrade and Don’s responsiveness
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 90697AB5-E9A0-40B0-B140-86F868C21308.jpg (37.2 KB, 0 views)
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2021, 01:34 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: I finally went with lithium... thanks to plowmans!

I’ll post some pics once I get the battery compartment cleaned up and the new wires installed. I just sorta Temp’d them in for now because the wires are all going away, so it’s a little messy.

Only negative thing I can say is losing 300+ lbs took all the preload off the suspension so it’s a bit more bouncy on uneven terrain, but not so bad it’s a big deal. Just something worth noting. :)
Old 04-05-2021, 03:15 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Just an update since there is very little to no information on adding lithium’s on a basically stock cart. Most folks have upgraded everything...

Still super impressed with the upgrade. Anyone battery shopping would be selling themselves short if they don’t consider lithium. 25+ miles on the last charge and still had room to go. There was also a bunch of yard work in the last charge not logged or accounted for. Doesn’t seem to have hurt it any
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46FBF6DC-5DAB-47A3-A737-D8BC7FF08BEE.jpg (41.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-05-2021, 07:49 PM   #4
Scobra1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I built mine from Chevy Bolt batteries and I am very pleased with the lithium upgrade as well. I was going to go the same route you took but came across the Volt batteries at a very good price.

I believe the drop in Allied batteries are going to prove to be very popular. I am sure a lot of people will appreciate your documented experience.
Scobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:41 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I sure hope so. Hoping information on lithium on a basically stock cart would be useful. I did a lot of research before I switched. I could find almost no experience with a basically stock cart and switching, so zero clue what to expect. Eve when I talked to Don Plowman he didn’t know what 60aH would do on a stock cart and wasn’t sure it would be enough juice to be worthwhile.

I can see for sure that if I were to upgrade controller and motor and etc. I’d definitely want more capacity. But for a stock cart I think this well outperforms the 4x12v US Battery pack I had before both in terms of range as well as overall performance.

I’ve never been a “sparky” guy, always preferred gas carts. Somewhat because I do automotive electrical for a living and it seems like “work” but also for convenience purposes (I enjoy working on gas motors, and also enjoy not charging them every night ) but after switching to the lithium setup and seeing the benefits, I don’t know that I’d want another gas cart. Except maybe a clone swap with big lift and tires for the snow......

Still haven’t installed the cable set I made. They’re in the glovebox. The stock cables don’t even get remotely warm so I don’t expect any improvements from it, but just want to switch them “just because”.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:52 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Keep us updated. 20+ miles is all I would need too.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:59 PM   #7
emoney
Not Yet Wild

Stock carts can easily run on 60Ah of Lithium batteries. Glad to hear you're pleased because that's what truly matters.

I just got my 36v, stock "resistor" cart done with my DIY Li-ion C-max cells. And I've gotten the same results; went from 16mph to 19mph and the take off was night and day different. I imagine those will last you a long time as well!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36.jpg (137.8 KB, 0 views)
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:25 PM   #8
PorkChopsMmm
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I sure hope so. Hoping information on lithium on a basically stock cart would be useful. I did a lot of research before I switched. I could find almost no experience with a basically stock cart and switching, so zero clue what to expect. Eve when I talked to Don Plowman he didn’t know what 60aH would do on a stock cart and wasn’t sure it would be enough juice to be worthwhile.

I can see for sure that if I were to upgrade controller and motor and etc. I’d definitely want more capacity. But for a stock cart I think this well outperforms the 4x12v US Battery pack I had before both in terms of range as well as overall performance.

I’ve never been a “sparky” guy, always preferred gas carts. Somewhat because I do automotive electrical for a living and it seems like “work” but also for convenience purposes (I enjoy working on gas motors, and also enjoy not charging them every night ) but after switching to the lithium setup and seeing the benefits, I don’t know that I’d want another gas cart. Except maybe a clone swap with big lift and tires for the snow......

Still haven’t installed the cable set I made. They’re in the glovebox. The stock cables don’t even get remotely warm so I don’t expect any improvements from it, but just want to switch them “just because”.

Did you also buy the Allied 48V or are you somehow rolling with the stock CC DS charger? Thanks!
PorkChopsMmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:35 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

You can’t use the stock DS charger with lithium. Between the charger amperage and voltage, along with the OBC programming, they’re just not compatible. I got a charger with the batteries from plowmans.

Sold my old batteries because there wasn’t anything wrong with them, the CC charger, and OBC and recouped a decent bit of money back. Bonus :)
Old 04-07-2021, 09:43 PM   #10
PorkChopsMmm
Not Yet Wild

Your thread has been very helpful. I have a Precedent dead under my lean-to here in Michigan. Going to contact Plowmans tomorrow.
PorkChopsMmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car