lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2021, 07:52 AM   #1
RogerA
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Battery Cables? Replace or just clean up?

2015 RXV with 6 t-875 8 volt 2019 Trojan batteries. I'm noticing a small amount of corrosion on a couple of the battery cables as I was checking water level. I guess these cables were replaced when the cart was changed from the original 4 12 volt batteries to the current setup of 6 8 volt batteries. They are blue cables, part number 613236 and 613327 dated 12-13-18. No idea what gauge the cables are. So just take them all off and clean up everything and reinstall, or replace with new? THANKS!
RogerA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2021, 08:10 AM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery Cables? Replace or just clean up?

It takes 8 new cables to replace the set you have. Get 2awg battery cables and you'll won't look back after replacing them.

I sent you a pm also.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:42 AM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Blue ones are 6 ga. Replace them
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:24 AM   #4
coosa
Gone Wild

I don't know anything about those cable numbers, but I will say that I wouldn't be able to afford to run a cart if I replaced a cable every time I saw a little corrosion on it. It's routine for me to have to take 2 or 3 cables off and clean them every time I check the water, and I do that once a month.

I try to get all the life I can out of all my cables because I have 2 carts and a solar cabin. The older the components get, the more care they require.

I am in no way suggesting that you not follow the excellent advice you have already gotten to upgrade your cables; just saying to not be afraid to clean them off any time they get a little corrosion on them. Cleaning them when the corrosion first appears will keep it from getting worse and then completely ruining it.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:49 AM   #5
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Regardless of which you go with, replace or clean (I do not replace cables with a little corrosion, I simply clean and determine if it has just affected the terminal or if it has reached the inner insulation/wire, at which def replace) ... To prevent this from happening as much as possible pick up a can of Battery Protector & Corrosion Inhibitor. This can be found at most auto parts stores or your local cart dealer and your cables will last much longer.
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:36 PM   #6
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosa View Post
I don't know anything about those cable numbers, but I will say that I wouldn't be able to afford to run a cart if I replaced a cable every time I saw a little corrosion on it..
Battery cables shouldn't have any corrosion... If it's only a little, you may can clean it successful, but in a bad case it looks like that one on the picture (corrosion inside battery cable). I've found such a cable on a Tomberlin Emerge Cart some years ago, it was the main positive, so i could cut the bad part. In other cases throw it better away!

P.s. using battery pole grase / protectant will avoid corrosion
Attached Images
File Type: jpg corrosion2.jpg (33.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210722_222403.jpg (63.1 KB, 0 views)
ojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:02 PM   #7
Alex D
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
It takes 8 new cables to replace the set you have. Get 2awg battery cables and you'll won't look back after replacing them.

I sent you a pm also.
I completely agree! Get new 2G cables. Two options: If you have the inclination, you can buy the materials to fashion all your cables with some of the best welding cable on the market in 2G (TEMCo) incl the terminals for $45 and buy a hydraulic crimping tool for $65 - 85 to make your own. Say $125 all in ... or you buy a complete top-notch set from Scotty here.
Alex D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:19 AM   #8
RogerA
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank You for all the good advice. After a more careful inspection of the battery cable ends, I have found corrosion creeping back down the cable inside the insulation. So my choice is easier. I'll opt for a new heavy set of 2 guage battery cables, with replacement battery to controller cables too. I'll also do a full battery removal and clean up of battery rack too. Anyone have a recommended, step by step process for battery removal and cleaning??? Thanks guys.
RogerA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:37 AM   #9
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerA View Post
Thank You for all the good advice. After a more careful inspection of the battery cable ends, I have found corrosion creeping back down the cable inside the insulation. So my choice is easier. I'll opt for a new heavy set of 2 guage battery cables, with replacement battery to controller cables too. I'll also do a full battery removal and clean up of battery rack too. Anyone have a recommended, step by step process for battery removal and cleaning??? Thanks guys.
Having limited mental capacity (stupid brain), I take pictures and draw a diagram of wire connections before removal. Also zip tie the wires together where there are multiple connections on the battery post. Probably overkill but haven't had any issues and have done this multiple times over 20 years.

A battery lifter helps a lot.

Don't forget run/tow switch before doing anything and remember to switch it back when finished to avoid that oh sh*t moment

Also RXV so chock wheels just in case
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:32 PM   #10
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Agree with replacing with heavier cables
I use CRC battery terminal cleaner with great suggest

Torque battery connections to spec and take pictures before staring

You can order a battery holder/ puller strap that fits the “tangs” on ends of batteries
To lift them so not to damage battery post. Each battery weighs 60+ pounds so lift correctly and carefully.😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO