lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2021, 02:20 PM   #1
BiohazardPL
Not Yet Wild

Default 1993 TXT Draining Battery

Hello,

Have not been on the boards in a while. I am having some issues with the battery draining on me.

At first I thought it was the LED tail and headlights but I disconnected those off the battery (even though I have a cut off switch) and still happened.

Bought a replacement battery. Put it on the battery tender. ran for the day, then it would slow crank and not turn over.

I took the starter/alternator out and got it tested at a engine shop and tested working.

Last thing, I ordered a replacement voltage regulator. put the battery on a tender. drove around for a bit. let it sit and then it didn't have enough juice again to crank it over.

Any other input would be greatly appreciated.
BiohazardPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2021, 02:33 PM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 1993 TXT Draining Battery

Get a volt meter and attach to battery...run motor in neutral and see what voltage is at battery when running...My best guess is at this point engine shop applied 12 volts to starter and it turned so they said its fine...however all that does is say its turning over not that it is charging...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:47 PM   #3
BiohazardPL
Not Yet Wild

I will try that when I get home tonight.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2021, 02:49 PM   #4
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

No problem...when the cart is running you should get between 14.1 and 14.6 volts if charging system is working correctly...If it stays at 12 volts or starts dropping your charging system is not working properly and we can go from there...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:00 PM   #5
BiohazardPL
Not Yet Wild

so my voltage meter is dead lol but after i trickle charged the battery, ran it up and down our road a few times and parked it, the next day it was still holding a charge. so maybe i just didnt give it enough time when i charged it the last time after i installed the new voltage regulator?
Old 08-04-2021, 06:40 AM   #6
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I would still get a new meter and test your system just for piece of mind and also so you or someone doesn't get left on side of the road kick 'in rocks....
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:26 AM   #7
BiohazardPL
Not Yet Wild

So I swapped out spark plugs, they were blacked out, fired up like a champ, changed the oil which was on the darker side, ran great. Parked it again for the night with the key off. Came up to it this morning before going to work. Battery dead again. neighbor is going to come by with a tester to see if it is actually charging the battery on run. Will send more updates as soon as I know anything.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:40 AM   #8
crash12888
Gone Crazy

If the regulator is bad (diode) it might be causing a back feed from the battery in to the S/G.
Or just might have a dead cell in the battery although it is new. A meter will help.

Have him check battery not running, then check with engine running, should be 14.1 to 14.6 like camaro said.
Also remove the neg battery cable and Ohm it to the positive cable, should be an open circuit.
If it is closed you have a short to ground or closed circuit somewhere.
Remove the green wire from the S/G and test neg cable to positive cable again, If you have an open circuit then you should have a bad regulator.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1993, battery, ezgo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO