lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
tykuhn
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Piston hitting head after rebuild

My EZGO 295cc had a rod cap come loose. Had to replace crankshaft, rod, rod cap, piston and rings. When reassembling all went well until I put the head on and tried to time engine. Crank would turn over just so far and then clunk. Dissassembled and found that the piston/s are hitting the head. Is there and adjustment? Should I consider more than one head gasket?

Any ideas?
tykuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-30-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
H munster
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Piston hitting head after rebuild

Did you replace both rods? If so im guessing they are the wrong ones or they are not seated on the crank properly.
H munster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
tykuhn
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

No, just replaced the damaged rod. Sure looked the same though. I did get the rod from EZGO. Will recheck the numbers to see if somehow I got the wrong rod.

Rod cap is seated well on both rods. Piston extends above the cylinder wall the same for both pistons. Other rod and piston ok.

I might pull the piston and rod that were replaced and see if it hits then. Might isolate problem then.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
H munster
Not Yet Wild

Sounds like they sent you the wrong one. You should be able to measure the new one against the old if its not too tore up.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
tykuhn
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Update.

I pulled the new piston and compared the rod to the old one. Other than being new it is the same length and has the same number on it...251 and fan on the reverse side of the rod. I put the head on with one piston installed and the old piston hits the head also.

That really only leaves one possibilty and that is whether the crankshaft is somehow not the right one as it too has been replaced. They look identical but I guess it could be wrong. I hope not as these are expensive.

Does anyone know if the top of the stroke is supposed to be flush with the top of the cylinders? If so it has to be the crankshaft.

Arghhhh!
Old 12-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
berthasquare
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Not even flush. It's a teeenie lower in fact.
berthasquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
H munster
Not Yet Wild

Try rotating one of them 180 degrees and see if it still hits
Old 12-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
tykuhn
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I reversed one piston (rotated 180 degrees) and it changed nothing. So, I pulled the crank out and looked at it. It sure looks identical but one crank has some numbers on it that the other does not. I cannot tell any difference but it is not working so I probably need to get another crankshaft. This one I acquired online from someone telling me it was a crank for a 295cc engine. It sure looks the same and everything lines up except the pistons protrude. Do you or anyone know if there are more than one crankshaft for the 295cc engines?
Old 12-30-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
thewskrs
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sounds like you got the wrong stroke crank. Maybe from a 350? I really don't know the measurements on these as I have a clone engine, but I know the pistons on everything but hemi's are a smidge below flush.
thewskrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I do not know the specs but I will tell you this; the 350 head has a lot more vertical space for a piston to come up out of the black than a 295... my guess is you have a 350 crank...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO