lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
furburner
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Leds underbody help

I WANT TO PUT SOME GREEN LEDS UNDER MY CART, ANYBODY DONE THIS? IF SO PICS , HOW, AND WHAT YOU USED. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.
furburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Express in La.
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Leds underbody help

I used the wheel well kit from led underbody.. it comes w/ 4 24" flexible tubes, switch and relay for about 65 bucks off ebay.. I have it on an express and it lights up underneath nice.. I will try to post some pics.. It's wired off a switch on the dash seperate from the headlights.
Express in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
Phillip
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just a little insight when buying your lights. If you get the peel and stick, which a lot of them are. Try and buy one's that use 3M tape. The others seem to peel off after a month or so, because of the inferior adhesive.
I bought mine from Advance Auto Parts. Two 16" peel and stick per package for $12.97 a package, and they use the 3M tape. Been on my cart for about a year and they are still in good shape and surprisingly bright.
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I bought the waterproof PVC strips off of Ebay, the 120cm that I used on the sides were around $7 shipped and I used a single 48cm in the rear ($4) and a single short strip in front ($3) - personally, I would avoid any strips with SMD's (surface-mount diodes), they're slightly brighter, yes, but they are FAR more prone to failure than the strips with individual LED's sealed in clear PVC (and the PVC ones are far cheaper) ...

My strips have made it through a year of snow, water, mud, weeds, etc without a problem, just make sure you mount them solidly (throw out the sticky strips altogether and go buy some 1/4" aluminum channel at Menards, they pressfit in there nice and snug and it totally protects them from snagging, etc)

Also, if you buy off Ebay, keep in mind that the strips are going to be half price or less from Hong Kong directly - but will take 2-3 weeks to get to you (they're all made in China anyhow so at least with the PVC style the source is irrelevant)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I plan on using the pvc ones from Ebay, zip ties to hold them to the frame, and a very small round rocker switch with single LED mounted just below the seat for ease of wiring, (keeps the dash clean) and easy flip on and off, just reach down below my leg...

like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg switch.jpg (12.1 KB, 5 views)
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

hey Scooter, be careful how you mount them to the frame - the PVC style are the brightest and most waterproof (compared to the SMD styles that can cost 3 or more times as much) BUT they don't like being ziptied too tightly (you can actually break the diodes with too much force) - if you go to Menards, Home Depot, etc you can pick up 8ft lengths of aluminum U-channel for under $10, if you cut them to length the LED strips pressfit into them perfectly and they offer excellent protection as well as a rigid mounting method.

And seriously, stay AWAY from the "cut to length" SMD strips that are so popular for cars, etc - they are very prone to moisture leakage at the joints and/or endcaps, which will cause them to die an early, fast death ... This is one case where I've found that the cheapest solution actually IS the best!
Old 06-25-2011, 06:51 AM   #7
motormouth27
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

How are the lights holding up? I have underglow from led underbody but most the tubes are burnt out and the company wont do anything, so do they have a website for pvc style lights or you have to get it threw ebay?
motormouth27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Here's the US supplier I used for the second set I HAD to have right away, the first 2 sets were from China / Hong Kong and were too long ago for Ebay to have retained the transaction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1xPVC...Q5fAccessories

(This is a link to one of their current auctions)

As to holding up, they have been on for over a year with no failure, the cart is always in the tall grass, mud, snow, water, etc (in fact, one time I soaked the cart good enough to stall it out late at night and the LED's just kept on glowing, hahaha)
Old 06-26-2011, 07:55 AM   #9
motormouth27
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok thanks what lengths did you get to run along frame rail?
motormouth27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I have 18cm under the front shock guard as well as 30cm under the bag pan in back, and 120cm along the sides (I did have to do a little creative bending of the aluminum channel to conform with the sides, but it wasn't too bad) ...

Last night I must have caught a branch or ?? as I seem to have broken a wire on the center strip power feeds, the LED's are fine (I tested them to be sure) but it's a good example of why you need to make sure and route your wiring carefully!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO