lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #101
casper4203
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: "Early 90's EZGO - Needs a Rebuild"

I like BBQ's
casper4203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #102
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey, we all like BBQs. Just not getting burnt with jetting 2-stroke oil.

Thanks for the recommendation Madoc - I'll make that adjustment, and swap out the vacuum line, and get a new plug. A couple of specific questions though:

- Does my plug sound like it is fouled (sorry, couldn't get it to focus for a pic)
- Is a dry carbon coated plug a strong indicator the engine is running lean, or the plug is too hot?
- Could too much back pressure from the muffler add to/aid in fouling?
- Could the oil still in with the piston/jug from the rebuild cause a fouling?

Just curious, as if I know what the plug symptoms are telling me, I can possibly work backwards to diagnose.

Here's hoping however that it's just a vacuum line and muffler issue.

Oh God - terrifying thought. If the engine ran lean creating the fouling, could the cyl have actually run dry, and damaged the new rings and jug? Or if it's firing, and it's got oil at 40:1, should I quit panicking?

AHHHHHHHHH!

Last edited by ScooterMcTavish; 06-06-2011 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Horrible thought, with panic added for good measure.
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #103
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

One more update - took a crack at her after work before the "honey do" list.

Cleaned the dirty plug, and was able to establish spark. However, after putting it back in and cranking for a good minute, I took it back out and it was dry as a bone.

Safe to guess I have a fuel issue here?

Just as a general observation, the engine is not getting the compression like it was the other day right after the rebuild - then I could barely turn it over by hand, now it turns over a bit easier. Worried that it may have dried out, though it was well lubed for the rebuild and did have enough fuel to run for a number of minutes. It did also "squeak down" during it's final stall on test drive 2 yesterday (though it did start up fine when I moved it in my driveway three hours later).
Old 06-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #104
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

OK, probably a long shot, but ... old motor, bad vacum = bad fuel pressure. New motor = correct (much better) fuel pressure, which could esily have sucked some nasties out of the fuel line into your freshly cleaned carb, plugging it up.

Gravity draining a line doesn't always clean it well, and there's plenty of surface area for old slimy crusty stuff to have been sitting between the new fuel filter and the pump (or even in that little line from the pump to the carb) - see where I'm going with this?

(and actually this is a little more than a stab in the dark - I cleaned out my tank with marbles twice, new lines, filter, etc and still had to clean out the jets several times in the first month I was back up and running - never really DID figure out why, but each time there were holes plugged in the main jet)

Sorry to be such a ray of sunshine, Amigo :)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:46 AM   #105
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks BCM,

Some things to look at when I get back to it next week - think I need a "time out" right now, as I'm feeling a bit frustrated. We know what happens when we work on things when we're frustrated.

My biggest concern is what looks like a loss of compression. It went from tight to loose almost too quickly - although the rings felt fine through the exhaust port, that doesn't mean I'm not losing compression elsewhere. Thinking I may need to tear down the motor again.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:13 AM   #106
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Oh God - terrifying thought. If the engine ran lean creating the fouling, could the cyl have actually run dry, and damaged the new rings and jug? Or if it's firing, and it's got oil at 40:1, should I quit panicking?

Stop panicking ! You have it oiled at 40:1 and have done no damage. For what it's worth I went through the same thing and was also concerned that I could turn the engine easily by hand. I remeasured the compression and it was just fine. I believe that after a short run time the bearings loosen up and the rings smooth the honing from the cylinder which just makes the engine easier to turn.

With regard to the plug fouling here is something that happened to me. Having replaced everything with the exception of the fuel pump the cart started to run badly. It transpired that I had a crack in the fuel pump diaphragm. What then happens is that a small amount of fuel will be sucked into the crankcase on the piston upstroke, this then mingles with the fuel that has been sucked in from the carburetor causing an overly rich mixture. Now I am not suggesting that you rush out and buy a new pump but it might be worth looking into.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #107
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Dave for the stop panicking message. of course, we always want to imagine the worst case scenario when things happen.

When I get back to the cart, I will be taking off and inspecting the fuel pump, changing the suction line, cleaning the carb again, and dropping a new plug in. That I had a dry plug after 30-60 seconds of cranking tells me that we are missing gas, and that lean is likely the culprit, exacerbated by having a plugged muffler. Or it was rich, but everything gummed up as suggested by BCM.

Man, my "fun" project is becoming less "fun" on a regular basis.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #108
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Man, my "fun" project is becoming less "fun" on a regular basis.

I hear you Scooter I had all the same pains and I know that Brew City went through it as well. However once you are up and running all this shall pass and the pleasure of running around on the cart will make it all worth while.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #109
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Dave, and I am looking forward to "that day" when it does arrive.

On the compression again - my buddy's tester I borrowed was non-functional so I could not get a reading yesterday.

What concerned me wasn't the tightness in the jug. I was more concerned that right after rebuild the cylinder was really tight when cranked up by hand to the top of the piston cycle - the high compression made it difficult to turn it all the way over by hand. Now, it's pretty easy to do. To me this suggests less a wear down of the honing, and more a loss of compression somewhere.

Although I tourqued the head bolts to the EZGo spec, I'm wondering if maybe the new gasket is allowing some blow by - the new one was one of those metal ring/blue cardboard contraptions, and I'm wondering if this has lost seal somehow. Regardless, when doing the work detailed above, I will also be pulling the head off just to have a look see.

You've made me feel better about the jug and rings - just now a matter of diagnosing if I am losing compression, why.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #110
casper4203
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

You should be able to take the bowl off of the carb pretty easy. Check that to see if your getting fuel.
If not "PRIME IT". An air lock may have occurred when you put everything back together. The fuel pump is not too bad to reach. Pop it off... then split it open. Careful with the diaphrams. Pay attention to the "clocking" marks to put it back together the same way.
If this checks out and no fuel - get a primer ball from your local boat shop for the same size fuel line as your cart. You will also need a 6" pc. of line. Pull the line from the tank (be careful not to break teh plastic fitting) and pressure the line with the bowl off of the carb until you get fuel. Then put the bowl back on and get some fuel back in the bowl.
This will fix any fuel supply isues.
casper4203 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
am i crazy?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO