lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
Southern Comfort
Not Yet Wild

Default 1990 Workhorse 2 cycle NO TORQUE?????

Just sold my 4 wheeler last week to purchase a sweet, fast, camo, lifted ez go workhorse with a dump bed, test drove the cart and it runs like a cheetah!
I get this thing out to the woods 2 days ago and it won't even push over 2" pine sappings on flat land, it won't go up and down a ditch, and struggles backing up my trailer that is only 12" tall with 6ft planks leading up to it?
I know going from a 400cc 4x4 atv to a golf cart is a huge leap, but the golf cart fits our uses more, we have no really rough terrain, don't need that much speed.
I've done my research..... So I want to attack this from the cheapest part 1st then so forth. I assume I have the 1-3/16 x 40-3/4 belt. Will buying a Yamaha 39" belt help with the torque? Will it make THAT much of a difference?
I found a high torque spring for my engine for $60 online, I hope I can do the work myself.
Oh yeah, I live in Florida, bought this thing for a fair price, our property has no electricity to it(where we hunt) so I choose gas to eliminate having to trailer it back and forth from home to charge.
I'm gonna turn it over to y'all now, I've already learned a lot just browsing, perhaps we can get this sucker climbing walls here soon!
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1990 Workhorse 2 cycle NO TORQUE?????

Is the belt riding at the top of the rear (driven) clutch when you begin from a dead stop? That clutch should not open up until you get a little speed.
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Just for fun I did some google-ing, and the HP ratings for 400cc ATV's that I found run from about 15.5 on the low end to 22.4 on the high - Your 3PG engine puts out 9hp at 5k rpm (which is factory redline and about impossible to actually get near with the governor installed) ...

Couple that with the weight of the cart (which is generally about 1.5-2x the weight of a small ATV) and the comparison becomes almost a mute point. However, in response to the question regarding the belt, YES you will see a noteable difference with a shorter belt, however that 1.75" drop is pushing it severely and I would think (based on my experiences with a 1" shorter belt on my 2-stoke EZGO) that you would have some serious binding issues, etc going with something that severe change-wise. If you can find a belt that's exactly 1" shorter, that should do the trick and although it'll take a few days to break in and stop being grabby, etc you'll be amazed at the difference in torque and takeoff power (although you should also be prepared to lose about 2-4mph on the top end speed)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
Southern Comfort
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info Brew, I've spent probably 2 hours trying to hunt down the belt. All I can find is on 1/4" smaller and then the 39(1-3/4" smaller). There's none in town, going to have to order one. Do you think the .25" smaller belt will help? Lord knows I don't want to put the 39 on there and A.) Not be able to get it off or B.) It strain the engine too much. The governor is tweeked a little to do 22mph, I'd rather it do 15mph and crawl through a ditch. Why be in a hurry to get to a ditch to not be able to go up it? For $80 I can get a 2000lb winch.... Off cart hook winch, in cart 50yds, off cart hook winch, etc is not what I have in mind.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

LOL - yeah, the winch solution sorta creates its' own NEW troubles, I would agree ...

I don't think 1/4" is going to get you much ... And as I said, 1 3/4" would likely create a new mess in itself... Try Dayco, Gates, and Napa - one of them has GOT to have what you're looking for, I would optimally hope for a 1" shorter belt, but 3/4" has been used with an increase in power, etc by Dave Box and others here on the forum.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
Southern Comfort
Not Yet Wild

Brew all I can find is a 39 or a 40.25. No half sizes in 39. Went out riding today..... Pathetic, Got stuck in 3" deep mud, gas completely pressed and it just sIts there, tires won't even spin, just makes the infamous whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop sound. I COULD not find a belt in town, I could find the OEM belt but nothing smaller. Any ideas fellas?
Old 09-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #7
Jcredpill
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I would make sure the clutches are working properly.
Jcredpill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

if you can hold on for a few days, I *may* have a solution ... Here's the deal, on my 88 I took the stock belt (45.5") and replaced it with a HP3004 (44 1/8") giving me a net reduction in length of 1 3/8" (I *knew* that somewhere in my mind I remembered going a little over that magic "inch" in reduction, LOL) ...

Right now I'm rebuilding a 1986 Marathon, which has a stock 45" belt, and I just ordered a Gates 38X4340 which is 43.5" (which sneaks me in at another 1/8" shorter than the last belt swap) - Let's see how that works out for me, and then we'll have a better idea of just how short you can go. The first swap resulted in some grabbiness for the first say 2 hours or so (as well as a bit of forward movement while the cart was starting) BUT it did go away so I'm gambling on that extra 1/8" NOT being a huge deal with this even shorter swap.

ALSO - do some double-checking, stock belt for a 1990 2-stroke is 1 3/16 X 41" - so that 40.25 would actually be a .75 reduction (which is enough that you definitely WOULD notice) ... Although it would be nice to find something right at an inch to 1 1/8".
Old 09-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
Southern Comfort
Not Yet Wild

I've got this thing in my hand right now. Just got back in from the woods, I don't know much about the engine or how it works. I lifted the seat, put in in neutral and hit the gas, after a second or two the front clutch closed and spun as the engine built up rpms. I assume the clutch is working fine, my buddy wants to take off the drive clutch to make a 39" fit then put it all back on, I'm sure it will work, however, it's not his cart and when I burn the gears up n it I'm out of the $ for his little science experiment. Like I've said, I'd rather go 15mph and have some traction than go 22mph just to struggle when I get to a soft spot. I've got the $ to build this thing up as bad as I wish, I just want to tackle it from cheapest to most expensive. Im starting to regret not buying that Yamaha rhino 660 that was for sale for a mere $1000 more
Thanks for the help Brew, let me know how it plays out.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
Southern Comfort
Not Yet Wild

Ok brew just measured by belt out to a hefty 42"
All the stock #'s I've seen says 40.75.
Taking my jolly butt to napa now to snatch up the 40.75
If it doesn't make a difference y'all all look to the southeastern sky for smoke signals, I'm lighting this thing on fire!!!!!!!!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO