lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2014, 07:50 AM   #1
67txcoupe
Not Yet Wild

Default Should I keep my Gas or Electric EZGO?

I posted this in the EZGO Electric but thought maybe some of the people that frequent the gas-powered section only could give me their opinion also. Sorry for the double-post.

So I have two late 90's EZGo carts....one is a 99 Gas-powered cart and the other a 97 (I think) Electric cart with a lift and 23" tires. I have approximately $1400 in each cart and really only have room for one. Here's a brief description of each....would love other people's opinion on which to keep.

99 EZGO Gas
Subaru motor (believe it's the smaller one)
All stock suspension
Body in pretty decent shape BUT the motor has started using oil and has started to smoke a bit.
Difficult to start when warm and has also started getting oil in the airbox
In short....probably going to need a motor rebuild or swap
Decent speed...probably runs 15 mph (haven't GPS'd it yet)

97 EZGO Electric (36V)
Either a 4 or 6" lift
23" All terrain tires
Black steel wheels
Front metal basket
New cables (I believe they are 4 gauge but would have to double-check....larger than standard cables for sure)
Batteries test good
Charger recently crapped out on me
Overall good shape
Only runs between 9-10 mph (checked with GPS) but has a pretty good range

I like to haul the kids around the neighborhood now with the electric (wife also like to drive it on occasion). However, we have a large area in the rear of our neighborhood with Lake and River access. No ATV's or SxS's but golf carts are allowed. I fear the little 36V cart may not be up to the task. The suspension on it works great and can jump a small curb with no problem, I'm in Texas so hills are of no concern but the distance may become an issue in the future. I believe a 48V conversion would fix that. I do enjoy the electric for it's quietness and ease of use for the wife. However, with the charger out and since the batteries are pretty much new I'm thinking it might be the perfect opportunity to buy two new batteries, a 48V charger and the other items to convert to 48V. OR...should I just transfer the lift, tires, basket over to the gas-powered cart and give it a new engine?? The other issue I have with the electric is the speed.....9-10mph is simply not fast enough. I really need to be somewhere between 15-20 mph. We have a couple short runs in our neighborhood where I'd like to get on/off quickly as possible due to traffic.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR EVERYONE'S HELP! - Adam
67txcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Should I keep my Gas or Electric EZGO?

If it were me I'd look for posts about adding new batteries to nearly new battery pack. If that's not an issue, then I'd go 42 or 48v.

What makes me say that is how you list all the things you like about the electric. The only thing you mention on gas is the distance. It sounds as if you could get 15+ mph and distance out of the electric then you'd be happy, right?

Just my $0.02
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
67txcoupe
Not Yet Wild

I think you hit the nail on the head Bronsonj! LOL. I really enjoy the quietness of the electric, ease of maintenance, the fact my wife can simply plug it in to recharge it, etc. I think I need to map out the area I plan on bringing it and figure EXACTLY how far that run will be (roundtrip). I'm still kinda new to carts so is 15-20 miles in an electric cart is a bit overzealous?
Old 05-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #4
tuf-duc
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Bud you just cant add two batteries and be good to go. Chances are your controller and coil is 36V not 48V. You put 12 more volts to it and your controller will not work.
tuf-duc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Either option is going to cost a fair bit of coin. but since you have to replace the charger anyway you are part way there to start with.

The cost is probably going to be similar for the Gas or the Electric cart to do what you want.

If you ask ScottyB on the electric forums he can probably shed a lot of light on the electric costs. I don't know if your motor will handle 48v or not but you almost certainly will need to replace the controller and solenoid. You will need some new or different heavy cables, the new battery (42v) or batteries (48v), new volt meter, maybe a new FNR switch too?

I didn't mean to imply it would be as simple as two batteries and a charger. Sorry for any confusion.

Let us know which way you go with this.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
67txcoupe
Not Yet Wild

I got that...thats why I put "other stuff" in there. Been reading in the forum quite a bit about what components would be needed but havent priced everything yet. Thinking it wouldnt be much more to do a motor upgrade on the gasser than convert this thing to 48volts. Still...enjoy the quietness and ease of use of the electric.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #7
rib33024

Well 36 volts and 48 volts get about the same run time, the only way to get more run time with the electric is to go 48 volts and use 8 6 volt batteries for more run time. or go AC drive and get alot more run time, they say around 40 or 50 miles with AC drive system
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #8
vince362291
Getting Wild

Not sure if you can with the electric one but my buddy's got a text and they make a speed chip and a torque chip for those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vince362291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:06 PM   #9
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince362291 View Post
Not sure if you can with the electric one but my buddy's got a text and they make a speed chip and a torque chip for those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The speed chip only fits a PDS drive TXT EZGO
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

67, I own both sparkies and gas and both have a purpose. Mostly have gas now but still have a sparky for cruising at night. As for you, if your sparky is only running around 10 it is probably a series cart. If the charger just died it may be time to go to 42 or 48. Couple of batteries, solenoid, controller and some creative battery placement. Your good. Motor should be fine.

Now for your current gas cart. Check the valve adjustment and check the oil. May be too full. If not sure, drain the oil and replace it with 1.5 qts, maybe a hair less. May fix your issue.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO