lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #21
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: modified workhorse

You probably won't, LOL - as I'm sure from my pics You can tell, I have a soft spot for the MPT/Workhorse carts, if I'm building them for anything but BRUTAL hauling (as in I'm going to spend more time riding them or hauling light stuff like tools, chainsaws, etc) I generally pull the springs all around and replace them with standard TXT styles - cost is right around $125 to do all 4, but it turns a board on wheels into a fun cart again.

The aluminum riser blocks actually DO hold up fairly well - never messed with an add-on kit though so the Heim joints would likely scare me a bit too - could You post a pic or two so we can see exactly what they had You do to install the kit?
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2014, 06:13 PM   #22
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

I found that the aluminum didn't hold up that well for my situation.. My iso bushings were worn and caused too much stress on them and one broke. I am in the process of fabbing new ones out of steel..... and replacing the iso bushings of course
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:16 PM   #23
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

no sh*t You actually broke one of the milled Aluminum blocks? Wow, I've had 2 major rollovers here at the Casa this summer, and more collisions, off-trail dings and dents, broken steering boxes, tie rods, etc than I care to admit - Even had a Jakes rear stamped lift plate bend up to where I had to call for a new one (long story) - You couldn't tell that it was metal-on-metal ?

You're my new Hero, LOL :)
Old 10-21-2014, 10:28 PM   #24
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles09086 View Post
The leveling kit arrived and installation commenced. Initial inspection of the kit contents didn't leave me with a warm/fuzzy as the kit contained two heim joints for the steering linkage to the spindles. My cart didn't have these heim joints, but tie rod ends instead. I ended up having to make my own spacers from spindle to tie rod so the steering linkage would raise off the leafs. The rear shackles were built from aluminum, so I'm hoping they hold up. Found out I need new shocks all around, although as stiff as these leaf springs are, I doubt I'll feel any difference.
No Brew.... I was under the impression he was referring to the leaf shackles in the rear. I was talking about the rear leaf shackles that came with the heavy duty springs. The ones that came with mine were aluminum and due to the iso bushings being worn, it allowed side to side play which over time, broke one. I didn't pay any attention to the bushings at the time of installation (2009 ish), it wasn't until the shackle and block broke that I saw the bushing on the drivers side was not plumb and worn down. You said yourself that you used bar stock to fabricate your own. If I would have thought the shackles were that flimsy I would have done the same thing back then. If you are talking about the upper block where the top of the shackle connects then NO the block itself did not break, but the weld holding it to the cart did. I welded that back in place.

If he was referring to something else...... Well.....you'll have to look for another hero LOL
Old 10-21-2014, 11:01 PM   #25
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Sorry, I thought the OP was using "Shackles" in a different way, You've GOT to be kidding me that someone would actually ship aluminum shackles? I wouldn't trust Aluminum in that application unless it was 1/2" or more, WOW.

I *was* referring to the axle blocks, the ones that go between the axle weldment and the leaf springs - see why I was so amazed that they broke, LOL ?!?!?!

Seriously? Aluminum shackles. The bar stock with two holes, one for the bolt that goes through the leaf spring bushing and another for the bolt that goes through the bushing on the frame weldment? ALUMINUM? Guess those plastic leaf-spring plates from the Chinese lift kit should go in the garbage too, huh? Wow
Old 10-21-2014, 11:08 PM   #26
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

I imagine the aluminum would be ok if the other components were not worn out. But for off road use and heavy duty stuff, steel is better. Once the iso gave out it allowed the block to tilt out of plumb and stressed the shackle. But I agree, they should be more substantial.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:06 AM   #27
Charles09086
Not Yet Wild

Yes, I'm referring to the shackle (that which connects the frame to the leaf springs. I received aluminum ones in the leveling kit for 2001 and older ST/Clay car EZGo.

As for the steering linkage: I have tie rod ends-

on the cart:

What I received in the kit were the female heim joints:

Male types would have worked if I received the hardware for the spindle such as these:

So I didn't use them and just made a spacer out of some square tubing I had left over from making a receiver hitch. Drilled two holes (one for the tie rod end) and used a grade 8 bolt to connect spacer to the spindle. Works like a champ.
Charles09086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #28
tegger
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Yes, I'm referring to the shackle (that which connects the frame to the leaf springs. I received aluminum ones in the leveling kit for 2001 and older ST/Clay car EZGo.

As for the steering linkage: I have tie rod ends-

on the cart:

What I received in the kit were the female heim joints:

Male types would have worked if I received the hardware for the spindle such as these:

So I didn't use them and just made a spacer out of some square tubing I had left over from making a receiver hitch. Drilled two holes (one for the tie rod end) and used a grade 8 bolt to connect spacer to the spindle. Works like a champ.
Who's leveling kit did you use?
I'm plotting to put on my St350. Im a little concerned about putting aluminum ball end joints on it...

Jay
tegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #29
Charles09086
Not Yet Wild

Got it from Jakes. This is it here:

My kit was missing two bolts and the instructions were vague and pictures were absolutely worthless, but I managed to achieve the end result. Knowing now from receiving the kit, I could have made the blocks myself and bought the hardware at a much cheaper cost and made it out of stronger/thicker material. Without really having an example or seeing what it consists of in person, I feel it was worth the price. If I buy another cart or decide to change mine in the future, I won't be purchasing this kit again.
Charles09086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:46 PM   #30
tegger
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Got it from Jakes. This is it here:

My kit was missing two bolts and the instructions were vague and pictures were absolutely worthless, but I managed to achieve the end result. Knowing now from receiving the kit, I could have made the blocks myself and bought the hardware at a much cheaper cost and made it out of stronger/thicker material. Without really having an example or seeing what it consists of in person, I feel it was worth the price. If I buy another cart or decide to change mine in the future, I won't be purchasing this kit again.
If I had the fabrication skills of some of the other folks on here, I'd probably make my own too.

Mike's has a leveling kit too, but for a lower cost. One or the other will have to be put on the ST350 before the tire upgrades.
tegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO