lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2015, 12:56 PM   #1
Enfernochuck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question 83 Ezgo 2cycle no speed then crossed ignition

hello all, I'm new to the forum stuff but have read posts in the past and have been able to have resolve my issues but this time I'm stumped....
So our family has had this 83 Ezgo 2cycle marathon golf cart for about 20 yrs now. It didn't run for an 8 yr period from 2005-2013 and sat in my dads buddies garage...my dad passed and I ended up getting it and tinkering with it, looking up diagnostics and reading forums, cleaned out the carburetor, put a new starter generator, new solenoid, new belts, new battery, new air filter, new fuel filter, new spark plug, ran great for the last year and then one day after running for 8 hrs last wknd my mom went after the dog down a 50 yard hill at a 45 degree incline them just started to chug a lug 1 crank at a time when she got to the road... It was getting dark out and broke down out in the front yard and I started to look at wires and such under the seat, I had pulled too hard and broke 1 of the posts on the key ignition switch then noticed the spark plug was loose so I screwed it in and went to touch the key wire back and crossed the wires and made a pop and fried the ignition switch...got a new key switch and nothing...I cross the solenoid with a 14 gauge wire and I get a single crank at a time...Did I fry something else in addition to the key switch???...any thoughts or expertise would be greatly appreciated...thnx
Enfernochuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 83 Ezgo 2cycle no speed then crossed ignition

Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wive's, husbands, girlfirends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:52 PM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

All inline with the key switch are a fuse, pedal microswitch, and another microswitch in the fwd reverse selector.

They are all connected in a series before connecting to the solenoid.
Follow the big wire from the solenoid to the stater. Use jumper cables to jump that directly to the battery. Let's see if it turns over any faster that way.
Here is a manual for your reading pleasure.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #4
Enfernochuck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thnx for your help Cart Around and the service manual...I put jumper cables on the battery to the F2 on the generator and seemed to turn over faster than just crossing it at the solenoid...does that mean my motor compression and overall engine is fine and I have a electrical issue in 1 or both of my micro switches? I pulled the fuse and it's still good...how do you check the switches??..continuity test on the voltmeter??
Old 06-27-2015, 11:05 AM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Yes, continuity check is what you want. If you want to get fancy, you can do a resistance check too. That way a poor connection will show up.

We don't know if the motor is fine yet.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
Enfernochuck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I took out the fnr switch to get to the microswitch..removed 1 of the Nuts n bolts and loosened the 2nd nut to make the switch swivel..no continuity between the 2 posts or resistance....I noticed the accelerator microswitch clicked when I pressed but the fnr microswitch had no click or noise to it when the roller was compressed..so I would say thats my problem then right??..
Old 06-29-2015, 06:33 AM   #7
dcotton4
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

One of those microswitch's is for the reverse alarm
dcotton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:32 AM   #8
Enfernochuck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I removed the other microswitch that's activated my pressing on the pedal..I got continuity when the roller is out, when I push down on the roller there is no continuity and makes a clicking noise. Is this microswitch working correctly??..when testing resistance I got 00.9 on the 200m setting and nothing on the other settings when the roller is left out and increases of the meter when roller is compressed.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:54 PM   #9
Enfernochuck
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

In checking the other micro switch wz-2rw8225522t-s , there is never continuity when the roller is open or depressed.. Any1 know where to find this microswitch?. I found the accelerater switch but not the reverse alarm microswitch.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:42 AM   #10
Marker
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: 83 Ezgo 2cycle no speed then crossed ignition

"Any1 know where to find this microswitch?. I found the accelerater switch but not the reverse alarm microswitch. "

You can find them on ebay, or you can check with your local appliance parts house. I know that sounds funny but the micro switch I needed for mine happen to be the same kind I had to get to fix the ice dispenser on my fridge so I recognized immediately what it was and where to get it. They are used in many appliances. Your ice and water dispensers use them and so do some washer and dryer doors, so the appliance guys will have a lot of them in stock so you shouldn't even have to wait for one to get ordered. They aren't all exactly the same but if you're a crafty person you can make many of them work for your needs. They only charged me 3 dollars and change for it too. Good luck! You'll be up and running in no time.
Marker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
83 ezgo, crossed wires, key ignition, no speed
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO