lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2015, 08:02 PM   #1
Rodder
Not Yet Wild

Default 1989 Robins 244 siezing up

I use this cart for golfing and for 3-4 years that I had it all was well. Last year the ignitor went out on it, then later it started running roughly and carb needed a good cleaning. This year it ran fine for a month, then started running very rough. Turned out that it had a cracked diaphram in fuel pump. While replacing the fuel pump I decided to take off the oil pump and go with pre-mix of 128:1 ratio. After replacing the fuel pump the cart ran great, but shortly after you could hear what sounded like a scrapping sound and then seized up the motor. I was able to free up the motor and at first could only turn it in the reverse direction, then eventually was able to get it to turn over both directions. I had it on blocks and it ran forward and reverse but still was hearing a scraping noise, then motor seized up again.
I removed the motor and tore it down and think there may be something going on in the crankcase. When turning the motor by hand on the bench at times it will become hard to turn (bind up). I can't really see what is causing this and don't know why it wouldn't do that all the time? I'd appreciate any help I can get diagnoising this. I'm a rookie at this mechanic work on carts so keep it simple please. I was hoping it would just be a top end rebuild which I felt I could easily handle, not so sure on the bottom end stuff. Thanks!
Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2015, 08:16 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1989 Robins 244 siezing up

Welcome to BGW!
Just to check your math, how much gas did you mix with how much oil to get 128:1 ratio?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
Rodder
Not Yet Wild

I understood that 1oz per gallon would equal 128:1 and I added extra just to be sure.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:53 PM   #4
TheGDFP
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Mixed in a container, shook it then dumped in?

Plugged the oil hole in the manifold?

Is the piston intact?
TheGDFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:03 PM   #5
Rodder
Not Yet Wild

Yes the piston was in tact just carbon on top of it. I did also plug the oil intake into the manifold. I didn't mix outside of tank as I'd just filled up the darn thing but did mix it as best I could with a stir stick. Either way if I messed up mixing the gas, I guess that's a lesson learned, now just want to try to get it fixed. I didn't know to pull on clutch to check bearings on crank before I pulled motor, but I don't notice any play in them on the bench.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:33 PM   #6
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

As long as the motor is out, pull the jug off and see if it is still seizing. It could be something under the flywheel.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:35 PM   #7
TheGDFP
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It's likely a good idea to replace the seals while it's out, but you will have to pull the clutch and flywheel.

Debris in the bearings, main or rod, can cause the binding. Try flushing it, but it's not much tougher to split and clean right.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:35 AM   #8
Rodder
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys. I think you're right when you say a bearing problem. Guess I'll learn how to split the case and do a complete top & bottom rebuild. I've seen some talk about buying or making a clutch removal tool. What's your suggestion on that?
Old 07-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #9
Rodder
Not Yet Wild

Do you guys know of any videos that show how to complete this total top & bottom overhaul on the Robin 244cc engine??
Old 07-10-2015, 05:48 PM   #10
TheGDFP
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I haven't seen any videos, but the manuals are linked here and there are several threads on rebuilding the 2-cycles
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO