lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
ROSIE48188
Not Yet Wild

Default I just rebuilt 84 2pg and not running HELP!

hi all. I hope I can get some help from someone. I have 84 EZGO 2PG. I just did total rebuild with new guts (crank, piston, bearings, seals, cylinder). I installed engine, and it will not run. It kind of runs but just sputters and backfires, never fast enough to even engage the clutch. I checked piston, it is with opening away from exhaust port. The seal behind flywheel blew out, I put that back in with blue Loctite, then the one at clutch came out. Now I have engine back out. I have HEI conversion installed--timing plate centered. I have spark, and fuel seems to be pulsing out of the line. I took apart carb, removed all jets and cleaned (it is nearly new anyway). I am not sure where to adjust the pilot screw though. I really need some help to walk through this in some methodical way. My wife is about to kill me on the project. Where do I start, what do I check----does the HEI change the timing?
ROSIE48188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2015, 05:25 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: I just rebuilt 84 2pg and not running HELP!

Look at post number 4 of this thread. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...-wont-run.html

Download the manual.

Follow the link about 2 stroke fuel pumps too.

You put the piston in right. Did you put the rings in bevel side up, and make sure the ends are aligned with the little pins in the ring grooves?
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #3
ROSIE48188
Not Yet Wild

I do not build dragsters, but am pretty handy and mechanically ok---this is what irritates me. Rings are in bevel up and aligned with pins---- I have the engine out, should/can I check the compression somehow as a check?
Old 07-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

You could hook a battery to the starter to get it to turn over a few times for a compression check.

Sometimes the red, and blue wire need to be switched after doing the hei mod.

I would really like you to check the diaphragm in the fuel pump.

Any rags, or dead bodies left in the exhaust pipe?

How did your reed valves look? Were they sealing good?

What was the original problem that made you rebuild it?

Flywheel installed correctly on the woodruff key?

The 85 manual in the other thread will work for your 84.

Battery positive to F2. Negative to A2. I believe that you will also have to jump A1 to F1.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:55 PM   #5
ROSIE48188
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the suggestions. I was getting spark, so I left the pickup coil hooked up the same way----will it create spark both ways---one OK and one NOK as far as running right? I will check compression and the fuel pump tomorrow (take apart and look for holes/tears in diaphragm----and also check that carb part #15 that was in that diagram. I took out the pilot screw, and am not at all sure how it is supposed to be adjusted---I kind of have it half way or so. Reed valves appeared OK--I will look again, exhaust pipe is clear, muffler is new, flywheel on key. where are the terminals F/A 1 and 2? the issues that made me rebuild was that the engine was running poorly, low power, not seeming to reach full speed---I did compression check before rebuild, and it was around 100----not so bad, but not so good. I was hoping all new parts would give an easy and reliable fix---but something else must be going on that I need to find. I will check the things you suggested. I appreciate your help. There is not much to this thing---it is driving me nuts.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:47 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Did you seal the crankcase halves when you put them together?
Old 07-12-2015, 07:55 PM   #7
ROSIE48188
Not Yet Wild

yes, I used anaerobic sealant with activator spray. permatex 51817
Old 07-12-2015, 10:47 PM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Does your intake manifold have a threaded hole for the oil injection banjo? If so, that needs to be plugged tight. I'm assuming that you no longer have an oil injector.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:31 PM   #9
racin161
Gone Wild

Reverse the red & blue wires and give it a go. Yes it will fire both ways and I did happen to me. Mine would start but was a real dog. Make sure the module has a ground wire from the mounting screw to the frame which is important.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:18 AM   #10
ROSIE48188
Not Yet Wild

ok, thanks. I will try that once I get the clutch side crank seal back in place, and run quick compression check and look in fuel pump while I have engine out. thanks for your thoughts----- I did not consider switching the pickup coil wires. Thanks

Tags
not running, rebuild, zgo 2pg
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO