lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2015, 06:13 AM   #21
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Pre 90 gas cart won't keep battery charged up

Did you try another battery? Are you sure the one in the cart now is good? I had an issue with a cart last year in which the battery showed good voltage and seemed to be taking a charge, but when I tried to start it...voltage dropped to zero and the cart did nothing. The battery was bad. Got a new battery and it fired right up.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2015, 08:42 AM   #22
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Without knowing how someone rewired a cart to do something different, from factory prints, it very hard to remotely troubleshoot wiring.
This. I don't know enough about the way these golf cart electrical systems work to say how its definitely supposed to be wired. But when someone has monkeyed around with the wiring, that's usually where the problem is. These carts are simple enough, it shouldn't be that difficult to return it to the factory setup.

If the solenoid is supposed to stay energized, so it stays closed, then you'll likely have to change the push button to a rocker switch so the solenoid circuit stays energized.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:59 PM   #23
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

With a key start Power comes from the battery to the switch to the small terminal on the solenoid when the button is pushed the solenoid is energized let off the button when it starts the starter/generator keeps the solenoid energized by passing power through the solenoid to charge the battery. If the cart is running the solenoid is always energized hence the term continuous duty solenoid. If you determine for sure the battery is good, then I would start over the entire start system... New ignition switch that has a start position like your car a new 3 pole continuous duty solenoid and a 30amp toggle switch. With a little wire and time you can have a system that you will know and understand and you KNOW is connected correctly and trouble free. I can tell you exactly what you need and how to do it and its all available through Amazon for under $40
ericandrews331@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:21 PM   #24
Jimmie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Here is a small PDF file on the charging circuit only

The Generator circuit.pdf
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:50 PM   #25
grandpa1
Gone Wild

OK I want to put a regular key switch on here and be done with this thing. The way the cart is set up at the moment is sith a rocker switch and a push button to fire it up. When you push the button the solenoid fires and closes the circuit. When you release it the solenoid goes back to open. While running the generator does not keep the circuit energized for some reason.
grandpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:31 PM   #26
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa1 View Post
OK I want to put a regular key switch on here and be done with this thing. The way the cart is set up at the moment is sith a rocker switch and a push button to fire it up. When you push the button the solenoid fires and closes the circuit. When you release it the solenoid goes back to open. While running the generator does not keep the circuit energized for some reason.

If the starter/generator is not keepin the solenoid energized there lies your issue with your battery either the solenoid is fried with it being open simple test take a set of jumer cables or a big screwdriver and touch the 2 large post on the solenoid if the cart turns over its not the solenoid if it does NOT take the jumper cable connect the red one to the positive terminal tan the other end (red) TOUCH the terminal with the large white wire it will spark and try to stick BUT it should turn the cart over.

After reading your post again if the solenoid goes open the problem lies with the generator side its not putting out any or enough juice to keep it open. Do you access to a multi meter you need to do a continuty test on that white wire and visually inspect all other wires going to your gen/starter but especially that white one
Old 12-16-2015, 09:47 PM   #27
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Amazon
Starter Solenoid Switch 12 Volt 3 Terminal Heavy Duty Winch Marine by Crank-n-Charge $18.99

Sierra MP41040 Switch Ignition $16.00
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car