lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2016, 10:28 AM   #1
ReelTight
Gone Wild

Club Car

Exclamation I need help

So I put heavy duty springs on the cart (95 ds) yesterday. Not the easiest project in the world I found out. I've got them on but will need to get shock stud extenders before I can get the shocks back on.

Here's where I need the help.

I went with a 4 leaf spring which raised the axle off of the motor platform a good 1". Now I can't hook my brakes back up. Is there a way to extend the cable? Also, before I did this, the front of the motor platform (under the seat) had a little bounce to it. Now it's bottomed out. Anything to be worried about?
ReelTight is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2016, 10:37 AM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: I need help

Okay... a couple of things....

Did you remove the brake cable hangers?
(The wire hanger at the front of the leaf spring that holds the cables up, out of the way)

And what do you mean "bottomed out"?
Is the snubber (rubber cushion) sitting on the bottom of the frame?
IMO... that's nothing to worry about!

Snubber 3.jpg

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:01 AM   #3
ReelTight
Gone Wild

Club Car

I didn't need to remove the hangers. The space I need is in between the bracket and the connection to the brakes. It's only a couple of inches and since I have a spring that is an 1" - 1.5" thicker than my last, I can't get the cable back on without on engaging the brakes (manually), but then once I have them hooks up they are to tight to go back to the relaxed position.

And yes, that's what's bottomed out. What would it do that just by changing the springs? I don't have the rubber piece so when I hit a bump it makes an awful racket. (Yes I drove it with out brakes) :)

Old 01-16-2016, 01:06 PM   #4
ReelTight
Gone Wild

Club Car

So has no one had this problem?

The only solution I can come up with would be to fabricate a bracket (that holds the cable) that is as thick as the new springs. Make the bracket in a way that brings everything back into alignment vs having to stretch the cable upward to fit on the brake arm...but surely there is a better way. I would think that anyone that has put a 4 leaf spring on the rear of their cart has run into this.

Also, in going with these springs, I cannot hook the bolt up that connects the rear-end to the motor platform. Is that needed? Any idea as to why my platform is now bottoming out? Any way to fix it?
Old 01-16-2016, 01:54 PM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Have a little more patience my friend... most members come on-line Sunday afternoon/evening!

I see the problem with how the cables don't align with the brake sliders now that the bracket is lower then stock,
I, personally haven't had that problem, my cart is lifted!

But...

(don't quote me on this, my common sense is kicking in and may not be correct)
If you were to "tweak" the bracket at the cable connection upwards, it may help with the cable binding situation.
(before doing that... WAIT for others to reply!)

As for the snubber mount... that's normal when adding HD leaf springs!
I'm guessing that your snubber mount was "floating" somewhere in between the frame rails with your original springs,
that's "almost" normal... when that starts to happen, it shows that your leaf springs are getting weak!

The snubber mount is supposed to rest on the bottom of the frame rail, (hence the rubber snubber/silencer/bumper)
When accelerating, and axle articulation, the snubber is supposed to twist and move upwards with the torque/spring action,
to allow the engine pan proper movement without excess vibration throughout the cart!

I've seen where some have cut and wrapped the snubber mount with chunks of garden hose or whatever to keep the clunking noise down,
I, however, would prefer that you buy the proper snubber for around $15.00, and call it a day!

Old 01-16-2016, 01:58 PM   #6
ReelTight
Gone Wild

Club Car

I solved the snubber with an old bushing out of the old leaf springs. ingenuity at its finest. I will order the part though.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:12 PM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelTight View Post
I solved the snubber with an old bushing out of the old leaf springs. ingenuity at its finest. I will order the part though.
How about a pic of it!
Old 01-16-2016, 02:14 PM   #8
ReelTight
Gone Wild

Club Car

Nothing to see really. It's a rubber bushing. :)
Old 01-17-2016, 09:20 AM   #9
ReelTight
Gone Wild

Club Car

Lockman...

Also...look at my snubber mount compared to yours. Obviously different. And we have different pans but it looks like your pan sits a couple inches lower than the snubber bracket where mine does not...However, my pan bends upward at the nose. I can't tell if your's does or not. Anywho...I say that to ask, do you think I'm going to have issues with this when I lift the cart?
Old 01-17-2016, 09:41 AM   #10
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Yep... in 97 CC changed the engine pan from tube to stamped metal!

My cart originally came from the factory with a 4" Z lift, then I added a 3" spindle lift to it,
I kept loosing my snubber (it kept falling off) because of the tilt from the additional lift...
because I have the stamped pan, the snubber bracket is bolt on,
and I was able to lower the front of the pan with an extension plate to level it out.

After installing a 7.5 All Sports SS lift on my buddies 94, he liked my extension plate idea,
unfortunately, his snubber bracket... like yours... is welded in place rather then a bolt on...
he ground off the welds, and had another. longer bracket made, and welded it back on.

In most cases, you may not have to do that depending on the size of the lift your thinking of putting on,
A 6" lift or less... you shouldn't have a problem, just note that you can't use the dip stick "full" marking,
you'll need to add the correct amount of oil, then mark your dipstick accordingly!

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car