lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2016, 12:01 AM   #1
JPRITCH
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Slow acceleration after controller upgrade. Reverse seems peppy.

I've had my G19 running a 300 amp controller paired with a 502.1 D&D high torque motor for a while now. It drives roughly 14 MPH up moderate inclines, has a top speeds about 16.5 MPH with this setup with 22" tires.

I've just recently upgraded the controller thinking I would pick up substantial speed and/or torque with a 500 amp controller (XCT500G19). After putting it in along with 2 gauge wiring throughout, I initially had the F1 and F2 wires crossed (which made forward and reverse backwards on the dash backwards). After realizing what I thought was a mistake, I swapped them and it began working just fine. However, I do not notice any difference in take off power going forward and I can give John Force a run for his money backwards acceleration wise. I realize that's probably a little deceiving since reverse was probably at 50% and now I'm getting the full power. Anyhow, I swear it seems like reverse is way "peppier" than forward. Tomorrow I'm marking off 100 yards and comparing the 2 times and will report back.

One oddity I would like to discuss is following the diagram for G19 carts, it says that F1 from the motor should go to F1 on the controller (imagine that), but if I install it that way, my forward/reverse switch is backwards. Could the previous owner have the wires mixed up behind the switch in the dash? Or could this be a hint as to why the power is inconsistent with such an upgrade?IMG_1019.JPG

With the new controller, I'm getting top speeds of about 19 MPH and it still struggles mightily up moderate grades on pavement at 14 MPH. My batteries are about a year old and have been well maintained, but used often. I know some of the very first questions will be what does the voltage drop down too when I goose it and I will check that tomorrow as well. But wanted to check if I have just completely overlooked something fairly obvious since I'm a noob here.
JPRITCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2016, 12:12 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Slow acceleration after controller upgrade. Reverse seems peppy.

Does your controller have the field map installed to match your installed motor, or still the map for the stock motor? Does your reverse buzzer work correctly in reverse? If not, hook the reverse buzzer up during testing (its under the nose of the cart).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:21 AM   #3
JPRITCH
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I assume the answer to your first question is it is field mapped to my installed motor since scottyb asked me details about the motor I had and he configured the controller. My reverse buzzer is MIA. It wasn't installed when I purchased the cart. Someone got annoyed and yanked it out. The wires appear to be under the hood still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2016, 12:28 AM   #4
JPRITCH
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Actually, I found it but the cut the wires off flush with it :(. When I have some daylight tomorrow, I'll try to skin back what little wire is left and use alligator clips to see how it functions in relation to the switch. WHY?!? There is a connection 4 inches away from where they cut it!

Old 09-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The controller is programmed for the 502.1 per D&D as follows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 502.1 -1.jpg (53.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 502.1-2.jpg (51.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 502.1-3.jpg (55.4 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:16 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Try switching forward and reverse if they are backwards.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Actually, the switch in the dash can be installed upside down, and you would never know if the reverse buzzer were not present.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:32 PM   #8
JPRITCH
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Verdict is in. The inconsistent take off were due to a corroded speed sensor wire. It didn't matter as much with a lower amperage controller, but a 500 amp highlighted the issue. It was the connector just off the pigtail.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:47 PM   #9
Boosted1200
Not Yet Wild

In reverse with my cart if you floor it your falling off the seat. it doesnt set you in the seat that hard at all taking off but it has a good top speed, wondering if i have somehting wrong

500 amp controller and plowmans motor
Boosted1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:59 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It is well documented that the original Alltrax install diagram had F1 and F2 wire mixed up and if swap them at the control that problem goes away. Your controller is programmed per D&D for the 502.1 motor.

Call D&D and ask them why their motor goes faster in reverse than forward and let us know what they say
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha