lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2016, 10:52 AM   #1
fixright
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Motor has no spark

Good day fellow cart owners,

I've got this Kawasaki motor that has hardly any spark. The motor was running after replacing the head and then the cart wiring caught fire. The motor has no run since.

I've got a tiny trace of spark when you hold the wire, without the boot, to the block. It's there but hardly noticeable.

My first thought was to disconnect any source of ground that may be killing the spark. No luck.

Then I purchased a bran new spark module. Installed it with no luck.

Then I removed the engine from the car. Placed it on a wood board and used a battery to spin the generator.. No luck

I removed the generator and spark plug. Used a 1/2 drill to spin the motor and no spark.

I've added insulation between the spark module and crank case.. Spun the motor with the drill and no luck.

The old spark module behaves just like the new one. I've got great continuity between the spark wire and boot.

Can the magnet on the fly wheel go bad or loose polarity..?

I've ran out of options.. Any other suggestions.?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0840.jpg (170.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0841.jpg (193.3 KB, 0 views)
fixright is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Motor has no spark

Need to know a few things. Is it a 96 or earlier (which would have a separate igniter) or 97 or newer (which would not)? When you say you removed all grounds did that include the rpm limiter? Was it an O.E. coil? My experience is lots of problems with cheaper coils.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:55 PM   #3
fixright
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey There,

Here is the serial number. Ag9342. Is that a 1993..? At any rate. Not so sure what a separate igniter is.. Since all I've seen is the same set up as on a lawn mower. I have attached another photo of a device I'm not so sure about. Also, on the other side of the motor is a low oil kill switch. But it makes no difference since the switch nor the spark module is connected to ground..

What I meant by removing all sources of ground is..; I understand that spark is killed by the copper coil, making the spark, if grounded will not allow spark. I thought that somehow a bad but effective ground could be limiting how hot the spark is. I've got a little of spark but not enough to work a hot spark plug.

Yes, it's an O.M. coil.. And it's doing the exact same thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0843.jpg (179.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-19-2016, 09:52 PM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes that would be a '93. That black plastic box in your last picture is the RPM limiter. The cart can run fine without it, BUT your coil should require a separate ignitor which is necessary to get correct spark. That RPM limiter should have been mounted to a metal plate just above the oil drain plug. The ignitor would be on the underside of that same metal plate. It mounts with a single screw and has a small male spade terminal that needs to be connected to the small spade terminal on the coil itself. Wiring may have been part of the harness that connected to that RPM limiter.
https://www.cartpartsplus.com/golf-c.../ignitor-92-96

Last edited by meimk; 09-19-2016 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: add link
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:07 PM   #5
fixright
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Dear Sir,

You are so right. I re-installed the limiter and added 12 volts straight to the white and black ( see Photo ), hit the generator and sparks away. Thanks so much for your help.. Your a great American..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0848.jpg (113.6 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car