lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2017, 06:24 AM   #1
kayakgolfer
Not Yet Wild

Default 2014 PTR making noise when stopping

Just bought used 2014 PTR and when stopping there is a loud clunk just at the last point of stopping. Jacked it up and took off back wheels everything looks ok. when I spin wheels the bearings sound smooth and there is plenty of fluid in rear end. I know this is a transaxle braking system, is there an adjustment point for the brakes? also brakes seem to stop well have to press hard when stopping on a down hill.
kayakgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2017, 04:29 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2014 PTR making noise when stopping

I don't know what a PTR is, Yamaha never made one. If we are talking about a Yamaha drive with Team transaxle, symptoms you describe are classic symptoms for worn out brake linings. That's a "several hundred dollars" repair. Might wanna talk to who you bought it from, they saw you coming. But, first you should check the spindle nuts (large nut in middle of lug nuts) for tightness, 75 ft-lb.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:40 AM   #3
kayakgolfer
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for responding. Your right it is a PTV (Personal Transportation Vehicle). When i had back wheels off I saw the spindle nut with a cotter pin and a cover but did not check for tightness. When I tried the cart out it did not make this noise. I will test the spindle nut and see if this is the problem.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:03 PM   #4
kev2504
Gone Wild

Yamaha

75 ft-lb's got it
kev2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

If you can turn the collar on the axle, the hub is too loose. Don't over tighten. With such a new cart, I doubt the brakes are worn out. I haven't seen any that have worn out yet, my experience with the noise has not been the same as GCTECH has posted.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:56 AM   #6
kayakgolfer
Not Yet Wild

Ok took it back to dealer I bought it from and the minute he heard the brake noise he said it is the fluid. I told him I had checked fluid and he said it is the viscosity. These brakes need the special Yamaha additive that goes in the differential. Also said that a film can build up on the plates and sometimes it takes changing the fluid twice to get rid of that film. anyway they changed it out and I picked it up this AM brakes are great with no noises. They are a great dealer as he said it if it started again they would change it out again. Also offered me my money back or to pick another cart if I wanted. Anyway I hope passing this on helps someone else.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
If you can turn the collar on the axle, the hub is too loose. Don't over tighten. With such a new cart, I doubt the brakes are worn out. I haven't seen any that have worn out yet, my experience with the noise has not been the same as GCTECH has posted.
I have seen several worn out, it's actually common on stretch carts. We have a local resort on very hilly property that uses stretch 4 pass people movers, they go through a set of brakes in as little as 18 months. (Although I think the staff is pretty rough on the equipment).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:01 PM   #8
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakgolfer View Post
Ok took it back to dealer I bought it from and the minute he heard the brake noise he said it is the fluid. I told him I had checked fluid and he said it is the viscosity. These brakes need the special Yamaha additive that goes in the differential. Also said that a film can build up on the plates and sometimes it takes changing the fluid twice to get rid of that film. anyway they changed it out and I picked it up this AM brakes are great with no noises. They are a great dealer as he said it if it started again they would change it out again. Also offered me my money back or to pick another cart if I wanted. Anyway I hope passing this on helps someone else.
Nice to hear the dealer treated you right
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha