lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2018, 06:52 AM   #1
nitro1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default G2-G9 busted exhaust bolts

Hey guys I tried to remove my muffler and the bolts snapped off even when I heated them :(

Once I get a EZ-out what size bolt threads into the hole ??
nitro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2018, 08:26 AM   #2
Lancejustin
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G2-G9 busted exhaust bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro1 View Post
Hey guys I tried to remove my muffler and the bolts snapped off even when I heated them :(

Once I get a EZ-out what size bolt threads into the hole ??
Keep in mind if penetrating oil and heat didn't work, then an ez-out might not either. I have had many seized bolts and the ez-outs just strip. Also I believe the bolts are around 10mm, so the ez-outs for a bolt that size are tiny and if you break one off inside of the bolt then they are almost impossible to drill through. You might have to drill them out and put a helicoil in.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Lancejustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:43 AM   #3
nitro1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Yea I don’t like ez outs due to breaking also, I might just drill and re tap the hole
nitro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:00 AM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

On my G 14 I drilled out and retapped with 1/4 20 stainless steel studs installed with loctite red. Never had any more issues.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:07 AM   #5
Lancejustin
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro1 View Post
Yea I don’t like ez outs due to breaking also, I might just drill and re tap the hole
Ya you might be able to tap it without a helicoil, but when you drill it out it usually will leave a larger hole. Maybe the flange will fit a size up if not then you could either drill the flange holes or put a helicoil in to bring it back to its original size.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Lancejustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:45 AM   #6
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

One trick iv had luck with on rusted exhaust bolts is if the stud broke off flush or a little above is center a nut on it and then weld inside the nut to the stud and then let it cool the heat from the weld will expand the stud and once it cools it contracts and if you get a good weld it should come out if you twist the nut off just repeat the process
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:08 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
One trick iv had luck with on rusted exhaust bolts is if the stud broke off flush or a little above is center a nut on it and then weld inside the nut to the stud and then let it cool the heat from the weld will expand the stud and once it cools it contracts and if you get a good weld it should come out if you twist the nut off just repeat the process
This is a great trick and 80% of the time will work great. If it doesn't, then you still have to drill and tap it anyway so no real loss other than a nut and 5 cents worth of welding wire
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha