lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2018, 01:21 PM   #1
hoggin03
Not Yet Wild

Default What are the Top 5 things to do/check?

I just bought a 2007 YDRA that was a northern golf course fleet cart. It had yearly maintenance, and the shop I bought it from went through it. It starts/runs well currently, but tops out at 11 mph. It has the light kit and a flip seat installed. In time I plan to put on a Plowmans kit, 3” lift, wheels/tires, paint, seats, radio, etc. but not all at once. It will be a family cart, 99% road use.

My question is, what are the most important repair or maintenance items I should complete. I want to make sure engine, trans, and the rest of the “guts” are good before I move to aesthetics.
hoggin03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2018, 05:28 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: What are the Top 5 things to do/check?

I would start with normal service things like oil change and new plug, filters, check belts, etc. They may have done some of that. You will need a newer drive belt with a lift, you can measure the width to tell how worn it is. You could change the trans fluid but I doubt its worn out, I put synthetic in mine just because. Find out what clutches are on it, some of the team clutches had recalls or problems. I also run synthetic and zinc additive in the engine, though now its a clone engine. Otherwise look into things that will work with your changes, such as any changes people do to the CVT with lifts. Large tires give speed and take away power so usually changing the spring or something really helps.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:40 PM   #3
hoggin03
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
I would start with normal service things like oil change and new plug, filters, check belts, etc. They may have done some of that. You will need a newer drive belt with a lift, you can measure the width to tell how worn it is. You could change the trans fluid but I doubt its worn out, I put synthetic in mine just because. Find out what clutches are on it, some of the team clutches had recalls or problems. I also run synthetic and zinc additive in the engine, though now its a clone engine. Otherwise look into things that will work with your changes, such as any changes people do to the CVT with lifts. Large tires give speed and take away power so usually changing the spring or something really helps.
Thanks sho305! I appreciate you taking the time to answer.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:53 AM   #4
Godfather
Getting Wild

In addition to the normal service things like oil change and new plug, filters, check belts, etc. I would check all nuts and bolts for tightness/torque, check steering components for excessive wear, tire pressure, check for bent or damaged rims, check for any rust on the frame and repaint as needed.

Thats about all I can think of right now...Have fun!
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:35 PM   #5
hoggin03
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
In addition to the normal service things like oil change and new plug, filters, check belts, etc. I would check all nuts and bolts for tightness/torque, check steering components for excessive wear, tire pressure, check for bent or damaged rims, check for any rust on the frame and repaint as needed.

Thats about all I can think of right now...Have fun!
Thanks, man!
Old 07-05-2018, 07:50 PM   #6
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggin03 View Post
I just bought a 2007 YDRA that was a northern golf course fleet cart. It had yearly maintenance, and the shop I bought it from went through it. It starts/runs well currently, but tops out at 11 mph. It has the light kit and a flip seat installed. In time I plan to put on a Plowmans kit, 3” lift, wheels/tires, paint, seats, radio, etc. but not all at once. It will be a family cart, 99% road use.

My question is, what are the most important repair or maintenance items I should complete. I want to make sure engine, trans, and the rest of the “guts” are good before I move to aesthetics.
I also own a 2007 G29 YDRA. When I first got it, it performed similar to what you're finding. The next year I started making some improvements. The drive belt was worn, and then I found that the secondary clutch had word so thin, that there were actually holes forming in a couple of places. The primary clutch was working, but was also worn from use. Long story short, I purchased a new secondary clutch and had it worked over by Plowman's. He also rebuilt my primary. With a high performance belt added to the mix, the cart increased speed to about 20 MPH on stock tires with the governor zip-tied. So I would give those clutches some good TLC. It's worth the money to have them rebuilt, or replaced with the newer style replacements.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #7
hoggin03
Not Yet Wild

Monday I decided to strip the body and roof and give the undercarriage a good cleaning. After doing that, I figured with it stripped it was a good time to install heavy rear springs and the Plowman performance kit. After talking with Don, I decided to just go with the non lifted kit and when I'm ready for a lift kit next year, send him the clutch back to be reworked for a lifted setup. A half hour after setting that order up, I decided since the cart was stripped, it made more sense to install a lift now. So I called back and changed the order. Now I'm waiting for a 3" Jakes kit, wheels and tires, and the heavy springs to arrive. The Plowmans kit is mostly on, just waiting to get the other parts on so I can call Don and finish tuning.

Seats, paint, stereo and few other aesthetic things will wait till next year. At least that's what I keep telling myself!
Old 07-06-2018, 09:59 AM   #8
Godfather
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggin03 View Post
....Seats, paint, stereo and few other aesthetic things will wait till next year. At least that's what I keep telling myself!
"No time like the present"
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha