lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
logan1211
Not Yet Wild

Default G16 performance loss after running for 5-10 minutes

Hello all! Have an older Yamaha G16 that wouldn't start when I got it. Got what I feel is the carb cleaned well enough and replaced the fuel hoses, filter, and pump and gave her a tune up. Now she fires right up and stays running without dying after 10 minutes.

However, last night I noticed that after I drive for 5-10 minutes, the power loss is very noticeable.

GPS speedometer I hit 18 mph on a flat road after getting it put together and took it out. After doing that a few times; it wouldn't go over 11 mph.

Any tips or advice on where I should I be looking next?
logan1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2018, 10:10 PM   #2
greenskeeper
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G16 performance loss after running for 5-10 minutes

When it loses power does the engine sound normal and run correctly or does it miss or show a sign of fuel starvation or poor ignition?

My initial thoughts are a fuel pump issue, but that would probably show up sooner. Another thought is a coil issue that shows up once the coil gets hot.
greenskeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:51 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Generally if it loses power when it gets hot its a failing ignition coil, possibly ignitor. but also could be compression related. I'd check compression cold and hot just to be sure. Adjust the valves to spec. And if all else fails try another (OEM) coil.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
logan1211
Not Yet Wild

Thanks all! When losing power; it does seem to have a little miss, just won't rev as high as normal.

I adjusted the carb just a tad yesterday and got the valves adjusted. Drove for 30 minutes and can't get it to slow down/lose power now. Going to keep an eye on it and check coil if it happens again. Appreciate the input!
logan1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:03 PM   #5
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan1211 View Post
Thanks all! When losing power; it does seem to have a little miss, just won't rev as high as normal.

I adjusted the carb just a tad yesterday and got the valves adjusted. Drove for 30 minutes and can't get it to slow down/lose power now. Going to keep an eye on it and check coil if it happens again. Appreciate the input!
It was probably the valves. If there isn't enough gap, when the engine heats up, the metal in the push rods expands and it's possible that the value may not close completely which will rob you of compression, and produce a miss.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha